[SOLVED] Why my computer use above 5 Gb of ram when I am only search web?

Apr 23, 2022
Sometimes my memory isn' t enough. I have 16Gb [8*2]. When I search web my ram usage is above 5 Gb (without any game). Do anyone know how to fix this?

My computer spec:
processor: intel i5-9600k;
graphic card: MSI GeForce RTX 2060; VENTUS GP OC 6GB GDDR6;
Ram memory: 2*8Gb of G.SKILL Aegis 3200MHz
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC

Solution
Or when you check the usage page it's saying you only have 8Gb installed but physically there's 16Gb, so you hit the memory limit that's registered by the pc, regardless of what's physically installed.
not necessarily, that can also mean 1 stick is faulty.

I didn't see a need to debloat my install as its not slowed by any means having extra start up programs, as that is where most of the usage comes from.

5gb of usage with just a browser open is easy as most browsers use more than one service while running , so you may have one window but every tab is its own process, i often see Firefox using over 1gb of ram.
Firefox currently has 9 processes listed under it and only using 490mb
Opens chrome and task manager shows its got 20...

Colif

Win 11 Master
5gb isn't that high for windows with 16gb of ram
Do you mean the search takes 5gb or total usage is 5gb?

the more ram you get, the more windows will use. empty ram isn't really helping you. I have 32gb and idle is about 8gb

Are you getting out of memory errors? PC getting slow? otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

Reactions: UnnamedUser64
D

Deleted member 14196

It all depends on the things that you have running.

I have debloated Windows and I only use two gig at idle

Sometimes my memory isn' t enough. I have 16Gb [8*2]. When I search web my ram usage is above 5 Gb (without any game). Do anyone know how to fix this?

My computer spec:
Which browser ? Chrome is known to be memory hog but even that is not a big problem as Windows and Chrome would swap to disk if they detect memory shortage. As long as there's no memory shortage. keeping things in memory makes things work faster, there's no harm in it.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sometimes my memory isn' t enough.
So when you game, you actually have use over 16Gb? Or when you check the usage page it's saying you only have 8Gb installed but physically there's 16Gb, so you hit the memory limit that's registered by the pc, regardless of what's physically installed.
When I search web my ram usage is above 5 Gb (without any game).
So?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Or when you check the usage page it's saying you only have 8Gb installed but physically there's 16Gb, so you hit the memory limit that's registered by the pc, regardless of what's physically installed.
not necessarily, that can also mean 1 stick is faulty.

I didn't see a need to debloat my install as its not slowed by any means having extra start up programs, as that is where most of the usage comes from.

5gb of usage with just a browser open is easy as most browsers use more than one service while running , so you may have one window but every tab is its own process, i often see Firefox using over 1gb of ram.
Firefox currently has 9 processes listed under it and only using 490mb
Opens chrome and task manager shows its got 20 processes... with 1 tab? that seems excessive. only 470mb of ram used

its not a problem unless you getting errors. Windows will move out of your way if you need the space.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ahh. Not necessarily. Bloatware is trixy. Many times it's not just the startup, it's the continued presence. If you've ever modded skyrim, you have to load certain mods in a specific order or what happens is you get instruction conflicts and makes for a bad day when your toon is running around with a black void for a face. Windows and Bloatware isn't much different in theory.

Symantec, Java, McKafee, Adobe are some of the worst offenders in that they can constantly check to see if stuff is installed. Which means internet access, checking version numbers, checking for updates etc. And isn't necessarily relegated to a background task. Dell is the worst for this, it's always checking itself against itself just to see if it's still itself and hasn't meen modified or deleted, G forbid you have anything in a Dell pc that's not Dell certified, authorized or signitured.

And every single instruction bandied about is a possible point of conflict with an existing instruction or instruction from another provider using the same service, name, process etc.

Nvidia ran into that issue several years ago. Certain driver versions in order to try speed things up would access the windows font cache. Just for use with subtitles in games if ppl optioned for that. But with windows and nvidia both accessing that cache simultaneously, using the same services and processes and prefontcache, you'd get idle cpu usage of 45% and game usage of 70-100%.

If the pc runs fine, no real need to worry, but you can get unforseen issues.

I'm sitting at about 5GB and some change myself just opening Firefox. It's really nothing to worry about.

In fact here's another fun point: unused RAM is wasted RAM. Modern OSes will give out RAM like it's going out of style if the OS feels like the computer has more RAM than the user actually will use.

My computer spec:
If you want to pick around the edges a little.
Boot the pc and let it sit for a few mins.
I see a little less than 2GB of ram being used.
I have way more ram than that but that seems to be all that's needed.
I do keep my startup group skinny and what I need and what you need in startup will differ I'm sure.

Nothing is wrong, unused RAM is used by the system to cache the disk because RAM is ~1,000x faster than SSD and 10,000x faster than HDD. If any program needs the memory it will be immediately released because the nature of disk cache is that it is a duplicate of what is already on the disk, so the contents can simply be discarded without having to write it to anywhere. The penalty for this is of course the next disk access will be slower. Point is, unless your disk is a RAMdrive, you don't want to disable this behavior.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Not all unused ram is cache, it depends how much you have really, and your usage of it.
I have:
In use: 9214mb
Modified (data that needs to be written to disk before it can be reused): 615mb
Standby (cached data and code currently not in use): 6753mb
Free (not being used by anything): 15815mb

Every system is different.

So yes, at idle with just 2 tabs open I use 9gb of ram, and its not like I can tell at all.