Question Why my cpu clock speed drop to 1.5 ghz (old cpu)?

Nov 23, 2022
** sorry for my poor english **

My pc is having problems with clock speed drop and wattage drop. ( Both the cpu and the video card But sometimes it's just one thing or the other. )

At first, it no problem like this. but when I change my graphics card to gtx 1070 and change supply to Aerocool 600w
(before it was rx460 / psu 550w but no problem)

Apex legends / raft / black desert can run 90-140 frames with high graphics with no problem. But after that, CPU clock and wattage is drop by itself sometimes. framerate drop to 20-60 fps about 10-20 sec
(3.4 ghz drop to 1.5 ghz)

Actually before that My computer after replacing the psu with Aerocool 600w and use gtx 1070 , my computer freezes and restart during play But suddenly that symptom disappeared and became like this instead

it's make my game's fps drop a lot Even with low graphics settings

My CPU temperature min 40c max 66 c
Graphics card, minimum 50c , maximum 72c (during gaming)

i7 2600
mainboard dh67bl
ram 16gm ddr3 1330
psu 600w full aero cool (second hand)
gtx 1070 8gb oc asus dual (second hand)
heatsink tsunami TSS - 8000 95w

I don't know what is causing it exactly psu cpu or gpu T T

IMG vvvvv

when clock drop

normal

update video when wattage and usage drop 0,20 sec

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022

My pc is having problems with clock speed drop and wattage drop. ( Both the cpu and the video card But sometimes it's just one thing or the other. )

At first, it no problem like this. but when I change my graphics card to gtx 1070 and change supply to Aerocool 600w

Apex legends / raft / black desert can run 90-140 frames with high graphics with no problem. But after that, CPU clock and wattage is drop by itself sometimes. framerate drop to 20-60 fps about 10-20 sec

Actually before that My computer after replacing the psu with Aerocool 600w and use gtx 1070 , my computer freezes and restart during play But suddenly that symptom disappeared and became like this instead

i7 2600
mainboard dh67bl
ram 16gm ddr3 1330

IMG vvvvv

when clock drop

normal

i7 2600
mainboard dh67bl
ram 16gm ddr3 1330

IMG vvvvv

when clock drop

normal

Edit: The symptoms are random. sometimes it is or not at all But when playing the game for a long time The more the problem becomes more frequent

This looks like a power supply issue to me. That Aerocool PSU model isn't the very best of power supplies. But, you have mentioned that both the GPU and PSU were bought second hand ?

So, how OLD is the PSU actually ? How many years it has been used before you bought it ? You shouldn't buy used second-hand PSUs though. Since PSU is the most important PC component. Though, I'm not saying that Aerocool model is indeed the culprit here, but from your description this looks like a power supply issue. Do you have a spare PSU so that you can test it on your PC ?

Or, maybe try testing the GPU on some other PC, maybe on a friend's system, if possible.

Hey there,

It sounds like your CPU might be throttling. The temps don't seem too high though. When was the last time you replaced the thermal paste.

As @Metal Messiah. mentioned the PSU could be playing a part here. Aerocool don't make good PSU's. But normally you would have random, restarts if the PSU was faulty.

What Windows power plan are you running?

All system and chipset drivers the latest for your PC? Yous is rather old, and so are the drivers, it could also be a glitchy software, driver bugs.

Nov 23, 2022
Hey there,

It sounds like your CPU might be throttling. The temps don't seem too high though. When was the last time you replaced the thermal paste.

As @Metal Messiah. mentioned the PSU could be playing a part here. Aerocool don't make good PSU's. But normally you would have random, restarts if the PSU was faulty.

What Windows power plan are you running?

All system and chipset drivers the latest for your PC? Yous is rather old, and so are the drivers, it could also be a glitchy software, driver bugs.

I have updated everything. and try reinstalling windows but can't solve the problem

I changed the heatsink including silicone last week But the symptoms did not improve. My wattage still drops randomly. The longer I play the game The problem became more and more frequent.

Nov 23, 2022

i7 2600
mainboard dh67bl
ram 16gm ddr3 1330

I don't know what is causing it exactly psu cpu or gpu T T

IMG vvvvv

when clock drop

normal

Nov 23, 2022
This looks like a power supply issue to me. That Aerocool PSU model isn't the very best of power supplies. But, you have mentioned that both the GPU and PSU were bought second hand ?

So, how OLD is the PSU actually ? How many years it has been used before you bought it ? You shouldn't buy used second-hand PSUs though. Since PSU is the most important PC component. Though, I'm not saying that Aerocool model is indeed the culprit here, but from your description this looks like a power supply issue. Do you have a spare PSU so that you can test it on your PC ?

Or, maybe try testing the GPU on some other PC, maybe on a friend's system, if possible.
hi
I changed new the power supply (not secondhand ) Depending on whether it still has a wattage drop. But not as long and not as often as before. the cause is my CPU and mainboard too old or damage ?
And I tried give my GPU to friend for test almost 1 day (10hr continuous gaming) but no problem.

Nov 23, 2022
Hi, what is the model number and brand of your new PSU model ? If your GPU works perfectly fine on your friend's PC, then most likely something faulty at your end. It could be CPU and/or the motherboard, but I can't say this with 100% surety.
I use corsair cv650 650w

and after i changed the psu but the problem didn't go away

So i tried to test Cpu Burner with Furmark, it showed that when my cpu reached 71 degrees and 100% load and the temperature dropped to 50-60c and clock speed dropped .
(or just playing games, loading 70-90% but 65-70c it's already dropping the clock randomly)

(But I used old heatsink my cpu hit almost always 90-98 c But it doesn't drop the clock down at all. It wasn't until I replaced the heatsink that the symptoms started like this even if 60-70c . )