Question Why my CPU fan and Exhaust fan keeps stopping randomly?

Oct 16, 2022
I build a pc a few days back(15 days currently), the first day it worked pretty well, but since day 2, it has made my life hell. the CPU fan and the system fan(the exhaust fan connected to the mobo) keep stopping without any reason. Pc was fully functioning but both fans shut down randomly(2-3 hours of normal use), I was using Deepcool Gammaxx 400xt cooler, then changed it to the stock cooler, but the issue remains the same. The fans stop for some time and the whole PC shuts down.

I took it to the service center and kept it there for some days, they told me they have found a faulty RAM and replaced it. But as soon as I get back home and start using it again, the problem starts to rise again. They said the motherboard and PSU were all okay, they found issues with the ram. But the problem didn't solve at all.

What might be the other issue? Pls give me some suggestions.

My specs-

Cpu-Intel i5 12400f

Gpu- PNY GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB XLR8 Gaming REVEL EPIC-X RGB Dual Fan Edition LHR GRAPHICS CARD

Ram-pny xlr8 rgb 8gb ddr4 3200mhz(2x8)

Motherboard- Gigabyte b660 gaming x ax ddr4

Cooler- Deepcool Gammaxx 400 xt

Psu- Corsair cx650m semi-modular

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would bet the problem is in the way you have configured your fans. There are two items involved directly, and a couple that might be part of this. See the mobo BIOS Setup Guide, p. 6 and 7. For each of those fans, select the fan and check its settings (they are configured separately).

Set Fan Speed Control to Normal. This will control the fan speed automatically according to its needs and the actual temperature measured by a sensor. IF you choose to use the Manual option, then you can use the graph of speed versus temperature to set your own version of that "fan curve". But be sure NOT to set the minimum speed for low temps so slow it can stall. Now DISable Fan / Pump Stop. You do NOT want it allowed to stop any fan.

Under Fan Control Use Temperature Input, set the CPU cooler system to the CPU sensor (you may not have any option on this one). Set the System Fan to use the Motherboard sensor, not the one in the CPU.

Under Fan / Pump Control Mode, set that to Voltage is this is a 3-pin fan (with 3 wires from the fan to tits connector), or to PWM for a 4- pin (4 wires) of a newer fan of this type.

When you have made all your adjustments, use Esc to return to Main Menu, then F10 to reach the Exit Menu (p. 29). There choose Save & Exit Setup to save your settings and reboot.

Reactions: abraribneahsan
Oct 16, 2022
Well, I did not change any of the fan settings, after completing the build I changed the ram BUS speed and updated the BIOS to f4 and that's all. But the problem is that I can see the fan is not spinning properly, it feels like it's getting less power or looks like power is cutting in the middle of the spinning. also, the LED lights in the Deepcool fan keep blinking while spinning...looks like a short circuit or something. all the fan settings in the BIOS were kept automatic/default.
thanks a lot for your suggestions.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If there are mis-adjustments in the BIOS Setup settings that does not mean YOU did that. You did update the BIOS, and that would impose a new set of DEFAULT settings that may NOT be right for your build. Check the items I noted above in case one or more needs a change.

Another thought. A common problem with new builds is improper locations of the stand-offs under the mobo that hold the mobo away from the back panel of the case. This can cause short circuits, often intermittent. If you are not familiar with this issue, post back here for details.

Reactions: abraribneahsan