[SOLVED] Why my CPU temperatures are so high??

May 22, 2020
Hello everyone,
I recently got a ryzen 5 3600, but my temperatures are too high, around 65-70 degrees (Celsius) in idle, playing warzone it goes to 90-95 degrees and playing league of legends it goes to 78-82 degrees (Celsius) . I updated the AMD drivers and the motherboard bios(to the version 2.9) and the only modification i did in the bios was to set the ram to 3000Mhz and the boot option to my SSD. I don't know if my graphics card is on OC mode, because i didn't download the software yet. The temperature in idle of the motherboard is around 35 degrees (Celsius) and the graphics card is around 50 degrees (Celsius) , in game they change to around 50 and 65 (Celsius) , respectivelly. I also tested without the glass side of the case, i didn't change at all.
I tested with both AMD’s stock thermal paste and Arctic Silver’s thermal paste, it didnt't change at all.
I also saw the temperature reaches 103 degrees when i opened the warzone for the first time, which made me very worried.
To check the termperatures i used the HWiNFO64 software and the ryzen master software, individually.
When the temperatures are around 70 (Celsius) degrees the cpu usage is around 4-10% and when the temperature reaches 90-95 degrees (Celsius) the usage is around 50%.
The temperature of my room is around 25 degrees (Celsius) .
My computer is new, the specs are below:
  • Corsair carbide 275r (with the 2 fans included)
  • asrock b450m steel legend
  • 2x8GB xpg 3000Mhz
  • cooler master 600W 80 plus standart
  • gigabyte gtx 1660 super 6GB OC
  • SSD A400 kingston 480GB
  • HD SATA 5400rpm 1TB (only thing that is not new)
  • AMD ryzen 5 3600

What am i doing wrong?

Solution
Evenly spread doesn't apply to Ryzen 3000's. The 1-2k used a monolithic die, just a single chip inside, same as had been used for ages. The new 3k series uses 3 or more chiplets, that are spread out closer to the sides. So when applying paste, I personally recommend the credit card approach, spread the paste manually across the entire surface of the IHS. This avoids the possibility that there's a corner of a chiplet not entirely covered which can lead to excessive temp readings.

Cpu cooler should be positioned flat. Start all 4 screws. Tighten each until its just above touching the bracket. Then use an X pattern to turn the screws just 1 turn each, repeat as many times as necessary. Thumbscrews only need to be snug, finger tight...
How are you mounting the cooler? A Ryzen 5 stock cooler will have four screws, and they need to be tightened going from corner to opposite corner, and need to be screwed in until they bottom out. When they are installed all the way, there will be no more room for them to tighten more. The stock cooler is also not that great with the Ryzen 5 3600, and will run decently hot, just because it is a bit smaller than would be good to have. I do not know what normal temps are with the stock cooler, but I am pretty sure your temps are too high.

Reactions: egorziza

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Hello everyone,
I recently got a ryzen 5 3600, but my temperatures are too high, around 65-70 degrees (Celsius) in idle, playing warzone it goes to 90-95 degrees and playing league of legends it goes to 78-82 degrees (Celsius) . I updated the AMD drivers and the motherboard bios(to the version 2.9) and the only modification i did in the bios was to set the ram to 3000Mhz and the boot option to my SSD. I don't know if my graphics card is on OC mode, because i didn't download the software yet. The temperature in idle of the motherboard is around 35 degrees (Celsius) and the graphics card is around 50 degrees (Celsius) , in game they change to around 50 and 65 (Celsius) , respectivelly. I also tested without the glass side of the case, i didn't change at all.
I tested with both AMD’s stock thermal paste and Arctic Silver’s thermal paste, it didnt't change at all.
I also saw the temperature reaches 103 degrees when i opened the warzone for the first time, which made me very worried.
To check the termperatures i used the HWiNFO64 software and the ryzen master software, individually.
When the temperatures are around 70 (Celsius) degrees the cpu usage is around 4-10% and when the temperature reaches 90-95 degrees (Celsius) the usage is around 50%.
The temperature of my room is around 25 degrees (Celsius) .
My computer is new, the specs are below:
  • Corsair carbide 275r (with the 2 fans included)
  • asrock b450m steel legend
  • 2x8GB xpg 3000Mhz
  • cooler master 600W 80 plus standart
  • gigabyte gtx 1660 super 6GB OC
  • SSD A400 kingston 480GB
  • HD SATA 5400rpm 1TB (only thing that is not new)
  • AMD ryzen 5 3600
What am i doing wrong?
65-70 degrees idle temperature just shows that something is wrong. I think somehow your cooler just does not contact the CPU surface fully or you forgot to apply thermal paste.

May 22, 2020
How are you mounting the cooler? A Ryzen 5 stock cooler will have four screws, and they need to be tightened going from corner to opposite corner, and need to be screwed in until they bottom out. When they are installed all the way, there will be no more room for them to tighten more. The stock cooler is also not that great with the Ryzen 5 3600, and will run decently hot, just because it is a bit smaller than would be good to have. I do not know what normal temps are with the stock cooler, but I am pretty sure your temps are too high.
I mounted like you said, i know i won't have low temperatures with this cooler but i think that now they are too high. I'm thinking about getting a water cooler soon, but there is something i can do before that?

I mounted like you said, i know i won't have low temperatures with this cooler but i think that now they are too high. I'm thinking about getting a water cooler soon, but there is something i can do before that?
Pull the cooler off and check to see if the thermal paste was evenly distributed over the IHS.

An improperly installed "water cooler" won't work any better.

May 22, 2020
You didn't add any fans to the chassis? The front and back preinstalled fans by themselves simply don't move enough air.
No i didn't, but i tried using without the side glass of the chassis. The temperatures of the rest, like motherboard and graphics card, are around 25 (or more) degrees (celsius) below comparing to the CPU.

DarkAddo

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Something similar happened to me on my first build I did with a Pentium 3220. Turns out the cooler wasn't mounted properly. What you can do is take it off, apply new paste, then reapply the cooler. To make sure things are aligned properly, start threading the screws diagonally (top left -> bottom right, top right -> bottom left). The screws will need to be screwed in rather tight to place pressure on the CPU, which maximizes thermal efficiency while spreading out the paste evenly. If this doesn't work, check to see if your fans are spinning up when you play a game or put the CPU under load. If the fan isn't working properly, you are essentially using a terrible passive cooler. Make sure the fan header is on the proper connection to your motherboard (there is a dedicated CPU fan header) and that the header isn't broken or put otherwise compromised. If none of this fixes it, check your BIOS settings to see if an overclock is being applied, you can also check this in AMD's Ryzen Master. If there is an OC somehow, restore it all to default and try loading up again.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Evenly spread doesn't apply to Ryzen 3000's. The 1-2k used a monolithic die, just a single chip inside, same as had been used for ages. The new 3k series uses 3 or more chiplets, that are spread out closer to the sides. So when applying paste, I personally recommend the credit card approach, spread the paste manually across the entire surface of the IHS. This avoids the possibility that there's a corner of a chiplet not entirely covered which can lead to excessive temp readings.

Cpu cooler should be positioned flat. Start all 4 screws. Tighten each until its just above touching the bracket. Then use an X pattern to turn the screws just 1 turn each, repeat as many times as necessary. Thumbscrews only need to be snug, finger tight. Excessive tightening does nothing, it's the bracket pressure that's applied to the cpu, not the screw pressure.

I'd bump up the fan curve for the case fans (not cpu). In bios, whichever header is controlling the case fans is probably set for a max duty cycle at 70°C. Cases should never get that high inside, so you'll never get good rpm out of the case fans.

So instead, drop max duty cycle to 50°C instead, which will push the fans harder at a much lower case temp reading, giving you much better airflow in usable case temp range.

Solution
May 22, 2020

Cpu cooler should be positioned flat. Start all 4 screws. Tighten each until its just above touching the bracket. Then use an X pattern to turn the screws just 1 turn each, repeat as many times as necessary. Thumbscrews only need to be snug, finger tight. Excessive tightening does nothing, it's the bracket pressure that's applied to the cpu, not the screw pressure.

I'd bump up the fan curve for the case fans (not cpu). In bios, whichever header is controlling the case fans is probably set for a max duty cycle at 70°C. Cases should never get that high inside, so you'll never get good rpm out of the case fans.

So instead, drop max duty cycle to 50°C instead, which will push the fans harder at a much lower case temp reading, giving you much better airflow in usable case temp range.
I will try that, thanks!

So evenly spread does apply to 3000 Ryzen?