Question Why my cpu thinks it is hot?

If the BIOS SAYS it is that hot, then it IS that hot. Why would you even think that the BIOS would be wrong?

Have you verified using a Windows utility? Download Core Temp and install it. If your temps show as anything over 80°C then it's too hot and I'd bet money it tells you the same thing your BIOS is telling you, in which case, you need to immediately shut down and fix whatever is wrong with your cooling system. Either the heatsink is not seated correctly, not fully seated, has come loose on one of the corners or sides or the fan is not working properly. Or, you are seriously overvolted. Are you overclocking?

Have you tried resetting the BIOS to default settings? What instigated the high temperatures?

Reactions: wabale97
May 18, 2019
If the BIOS SAYS it is that hot, then it IS that hot. Why would you even think that the BIOS would be wrong?

Have you verified using a Windows utility? Download Core Temp and install it. If your temps show as anything over 80°C then it's too hot and I'd bet money it tells you the same thing your BIOS is telling you, in which case, you need to immediately shut down and fix whatever is wrong with your cooling system. Either the heatsink is not seated correctly, not fully seated, has come loose on one of the corners or sides or the fan is not working properly. Or, you are seriously overvolted. Are you overclocking?

Have you tried resetting the BIOS to default settings? What instigated the high temperatures?
I cant even get past windows 10 loading screen because it shutdowns. And my bios is kinda glitchy too, the mouse cursor is kinda twitching and it appears when i enter a new tab it kinda does a glitchy screen transition. It's not hot, i can touch the side of the cooler, and it is cold

Cooler will always be cool. That has ZERO to do with core temps. Overheated CPUs don't magically turn the CPU cooler into an inferno. You have a serious issue and you need to figure out what it is.

My advice would be to immediately remove the CPU, check for bent pins on the CPU (AMD) or motherboard (Intel), any burnt spots on any of the CPU or motherboard contacts. Check the motherboard capacitors to see if any are leaking or bulging. Check the CPU cooler to make sure none of the mounting pegs, or clips, or screws, or whatever, depending on what kind of cooler you have, are broken or loose. Check the backplate to CPU cooler mounting bracket fasteners to make sure none of those are loose.

Make sure the CPU cooler fan is actually running.

What are your actual hardware specs? CPU, motherboard, memory, etc.?

May 18, 2019
Cooler will always be cool. That has ZERO to do with core temps. Overheated CPUs don't magically turn the CPU cooler into an inferno. You have a serious issue and you need to figure out what it is.

My advice would be to immediately remove the CPU, check for bent pins on the CPU (AMD) or motherboard (Intel), any burnt spots on any of the CPU or motherboard contacts. Check the motherboard capacitors to see if any are leaking or bulging. Check the CPU cooler to make sure none of the mounting pegs, or clips, or screws, or whatever, depending on what kind of cooler you have, are broken or loose. Check the backplate to CPU cooler mounting bracket fasteners to make sure none of those are loose.

Make sure the CPU cooler fan is actually running.

What are your actual hardware specs? CPU, motherboard, memory, etc.?
8GB HyperX DDR3

Asus P8H61-M

Basic intel cooler

I5-2400 (not overclocked)

And it maybe is the heatsink

I removed the cooler for cleaning and then i tried to put it back in but one of the cooler pins was kinda stuck and it didnt fit properly, i didn't think that would be a problem

Yes, it's ABSOLUTELY a problem. ALL mounting hardware MUST be 100% working correctly, or you don't have a cooler, period. If one mounting pin is broken or doesn't hold correctly, then the cooler needs to be replaced. That is guaranteed why it is getting hot. Coolers with push pins are already low mounting pressure type coolers, and when you remove even that much pressure by not having all four corners completely seated, you lose 75% of your cooling capability, if not more.

Get a new cooler and you will not have a cooling issue. Or, figure out why it's not seating correctly. It may be that it can be fixed. If not, replace it.

TragicDelight

BANNED
Jun 1, 2019
8GB HyperX DDR3

Asus P8H61-M

Basic intel cooler

I removed the cooler for cleaning and then i tried to put it back in but one of the cooler pins was kinda stuck and it didnt fit properly, i didn't think that would be a problem

My guess is you tried to use the wrong standoffs and now it's not making sufficient contact. unplug the tower and dischard the caps. now take the cooler off and reapply paste then try the other standoffs and give it a go.

junglist724

Honorable
Apr 10, 2017
8GB HyperX DDR3

Asus P8H61-M

Basic intel cooler

If the cooler isn't mounted properly it isn't transferring heat from the CPU to the cooler. That's why it's cool to touch.

No, that's not why it's cool to the touch. CPU cooler heatsinks don't actually get "hot" to the touch, anyhow. Perhaps if it's a very small stock style heatsink, but usually not even then as those are not generally used with high TDP processors anyhow, and should not ever be used for overclocking. Low TDP stock configuration CPUs aren't going to get the heatsink hot, whether they are mounted correctly or not.

And push pin style coolers don't use standoffs, so that's not relevant information either. Guessing, isn't usually helpful, except as a last resort.