Question Why my external Drive appeared as Local Disk?

Feb 17, 2019
I have an external disk drive (MaxTor 1TB).

For some reason it changed from USB Drive to Local Disk. Local Disk Image Now i cant use a Label Name (like MyDrive).
I try to change the drive Letter and still nothing happen.
Also the Autorun.inf that is located by default at a sub-folder of the Drive [Local Disk/Z_Driver Manager/autorun.inf] its not responding when i change the Label Name or the icon of the driver. AutoRun Location
i try to create a AutoRun.inf in my external drive but i need permission for this. I change the owner of the drive but still nothing happen
Any idea?

D

Deleted member 14196

When you plug the USB into another computer can you change the name of the USB? I really don’t understand what you mean that it appears as a local drive because all of my USBs appear as regular drives well

Feb 17, 2019
When you plug the USB into another computer can you change the name of the USB? I really don’t understand what you mean that it appears as a local drive because all of my USBs appear as regular drives well
When i plug the USB Driver to an other computer i see it again as a local driver. If i go to Properties -> Label Name and write something nothing happens and the Label Local Driver remains.

When I'm saying that it appears as a local driver let me exaplain it better with the example below...

I have a USB drive that it appeared as "USB Drive" and i can change the Label name, set an icon, etc...
SanDisk 32GB USB Drive
Inside that USB drive i create an Autorun.inf and with this way i can set the name and the icon...
SanDisk 32GB Autorun.inf for setting up the name and the ico of the drive

Now i plug the driver (with the problem) and as you see it appeared as a local disk and not as a USB drive
MaxTor 1TB USB Drive

When i open the drive the is no Autorun.inf file and i cant create one (As the Sandisk example above)
MaxTor 1 TB cant create AutoRun.inf

Instead there is a folder called "Z_Drive_manager" [ Local_Disk (Z)/Z_Drive_manager ] that include (by default?) the Autorun.inf
MaxTor 1 TB locationof AutoRun.inf

I try to change the label or the ico from the AutoRun.inf and nothing changed, also i delete the Autorun.inf but still nothing happened.

Also i try with cmd to fix the disk entering the commant chkdsk Z: /f but nothing changed again. I cant move my files to an other drive and so the format option don't suit me.

Thanks, i hope that i make my problem more clear for you