Question Why my father computer, takes very long time to turn off

aor999

Honorable
Jun 28, 2017
I don't know which board this question is suitable, so I put it here.
Anyway: My father computer take almost always a lot of time to shut down, hibernate and sometimes also to restart.
Looks at this video:
This despite the OS (Windows 10 64bit 22H2), located on an NVMe based SSD, so it should shut down, hibernate or restart in seconds.
Why this is happening?

My father computer specification:
PSU: Enermax NAXN 450W
MB: ASRock B365M-HDV
BIOS: AMI (30/7/2021)
Memory: Generic, 8GB (DDR4)
CPU: DualCore Intel Pentium Gold G5420, 3800 MHz
GPU: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 610 (1GB)
SSD (Drive C: ) : NVMe CT500P1SSD8 (SCSI Int)
HDD (Drive D: ) : TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 (1TB, 7200 RPM, SATA-III)
HDD (Drive E: ) : WDC WD10EARS-22Y5B1 (1TB, SATA-II)

Last edited:
you can enable verbose status messages so that windows will tell you what it is waiting for.
Enable verbose startup, shutdown, logon, and logoff status messages in Windows Server 2003 - Windows Server | Microsoft Learn

on shutdown windows will give some apps a 30 second timeout windows to shutdown. (media players)

It can even be talking to another machine on the same network like a xbox
(unplug network tap before attempting shutdown as a test)

connections for some smb servers or print servers can also cause a 30 second delay.

even a connection from the machine thru a loopback driver to its own machine can cause a delay due to lazy write cache functions in the drive. Windows will refuse to shutdown until it gets a signal that the data in cache has been flushed to disk. Sometimes the data will be in RAM, the drive must wake, data flushed to disk before windows is allowed to shut down.

I don't know which board this question is suitable, so I put it here.
Anyway: My father computer take almost always a lot of time to shut down, hibernate and sometimes also to restart.
Looks at this video:
This despite the OS (Windows 10 64bit 22H2), located on an NVMe based SSD, so it should shut down, hibernate or restart in seconds.
Why this is happening?

My father computer specification:
PSU: Enermax NAXN 450W
MB: ASRock B365M-HDV
BIOS: AMI (30/7/2021)
Memory: Generic, 8GB (DDR4)
CPU: DualCore Intel Pentium Gold G5420, 3800 MHz
GPU: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 610 (1GB)
SSD (Drive C: ) : NVMe CT500P1SSD8 (SCSI Int)
HDD (Drive D: ) : TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 (1TB, 7200 RPM, SATA-III)
HDD (Drive E: ) : WDC WD10EARS-22Y5B1 (1TB, SATA-II)
Boot the pc and let it sit for a few mins.
Now shutdown the pc.
If that takes a long time try a clean boot and see if it makes a diff.

aor999

Honorable
Jun 28, 2017
Enabled the verbose messages, but the screen turns off immediately after pressing the power button or clicking hibernation, so I can't see the verbose messages.
You can see this phenomenon in the video as well.

Edit: I managed to cause the screen to not shut off before the shut down or the hibernation is completed, but the screen still shut down when the HDD turning off and before the rest of the system shuts down, so I can't know what causes this prolonged shutdown.
Also: This problem sometimes don't happens.

Last edited:
in the video it too 1.5 minutes for the light to turn off.
try: stop all network connections before you try the shutdown.
to determine if the issue is inside the machine or the machine waiting for a network response from another device on the network.
(xbox, another windows machine, print server, NAS server,...)

if the same problem occurs with a network isolated machine then you would need to see what service is preventing the shutdown.
I would first start cmd.exe as an admin then run
powercfg.exe /energy
and take a look at the report it creates.
some media sharing services can delay the shutdown of the pc.
it should show up in the report. If it does then try and shutdown the service before attempting to shutdown the machine. (as a test)

often the fix will be to tell windows not to wait for the multimedia device to.
It is a setting in the windows control panel for multimedia devices.
(if this is the case , I will have to look it up since I do not remember the setting, i think it was an advanced power setting that brings up a list of components and you scroll down the the multimedia entry)

there are some file/print servers that do not return a proper indicator of a flush to disk has completed. This can make windows wait for the signal that never gets sent. It waits 30 seconds, then might try 2 more times before it gives up and shuts down anyway.
(unplug network tap and see if you have the same issue, or look for a SMB file or print server on the local machine)
last time I saw this was windows trying to save a roaming profile at shutdown and the roaming profile was being saved on a remote machine that never returned the completion signal.

turning off lazy writes to the drive on the remote machine fixed the issue.

in this case the roaming profile was very large (12 gigabytes in size)

another test that would have found this error would be to create another useer and log on to the local machine and then try the power down and see if you get the delay in shutdown.

older disk cache programs can also delay shutdown. These should show up in the powercfg.exe report. turning off lazy disk writes can prevent this. some older drives had bugs in the drive firmware and the indication would not be returned.

Last edited:

aor999

Honorable
Jun 28, 2017
OK guys, I have an access to my father computer since I at my father home, so I'm awakening this thread.
Anyway, I recorded a hibernation of my computer with WPR (And it does took several min to turn of, as always), and than viewed the log with the WPA
Here are the results:
Windows-Performance-Analyser-report-of-process-delay-during-hibernation-and-startup.png

Its looks like some process have an unusually long delay, that hinders the shutting down.

OK guys, I have an access to my father computer since I at my father home, so I'm awakening this thread.
Anyway, I recorded a hibernation of my computer with WPR (And it does took several min to turn of, as always), and than viewed the log with the WPA
Here are the results:
Windows-Performance-Analyser-report-of-process-delay-during-hibernation-and-startup.png

Its looks like some process have an unusually long delay, that hinders the shutting down.
Can you upload that etl file?

its waiting for one device to sleep
pci device C0A9 - micron nvme - 70s sleep time
blocked by windows update (62seconds)

try running those commands in cmd/powershell with admin rights:
powercfg /requestsoverride process "MoUSO Core Worker" execution
powercfg /requestsoverride process "USO Worker" execution

aor999

Honorable
Jun 28, 2017
I've run both commands in CMD with admin rights and hibernated my father computer twice.
Hibernation 1: No delay until turning off.
Hibernation 2: Very long delay until turning off.
So it seems that this problem sometimes don't occurs and sometimes occurs.

Last edited: