[SOLVED] Why my GPU does not work properly ?

nadiiroo

Prominent
May 11, 2018
Hello fellas ,

i have a home PC with the following specs :

CPU : Core2Duo E7500
MoBo : SIMMTRONICS G41D3 V1 with an FSB of 800Mhz/1066Mhz
RAM1 : 1x2Gb SIMMTRONICS (1333Mhz)
RAM2 : 1x2Gb Forgot the Brand (1333Mhz)

HDD1 : 320 Gb WD (7200RPM)
HDD2: 80 Gb WD (7200RPM)

PSU : 230W ( Pentium 4 PSU)

Case : it's just a Pentium 4 (MicroATX)

so i bought a cheap GPU for it , an AMD Radeon HD 6450 (1Gb, GDDR3), just to boost it a tiny bit and tbh jsut to benchmark the GPU

i had this issue where i had no signal from the GPU after i plugged it in the case , so i tried other options like changing the MoBo or the RAM sticks or even the GPU from the local store that i bought it from in case it is damaged .. but in the end i managed to run League of Legends on my motherboard with this GPU for like more than 1 hour but in this time i had the MoBo out of the case and had it put on the GPU box and then plug the GPu and all the thing to run up the pc and i could run the pc for more than 1 hours i installed the drivers and even fired up League of Legends and had some steady gameplay ,
anyway the problem persists when i plug the AMD HD 6450 to the case and i fire it up if i change the resolution it will go blank or even if i tried to fire up league of legends .

so what could be the problem ? the PSU voltage , the MoBo is messed up , or is it not having the ground ? like some local shop told me .. i mean i had it running when i took it out of the case and put it on the cardboard box

thanks in advance for trying to help and sharing your knowledge with me

Solution
The AMD Radeon HD 6450 only consumes 26 watts at max. Somethings not grounded in the case. Btw ATX is the motherboard type nothing to do with Pentium 4 CPU. Most motherboards are ATX now days. I would check the motherboard risers [ mounts] are in the right places. Make sure you sest the gpu correctly meaning no pins of the gpu showing use a flashlight. If the mobo was defective it would not boot either way.

Dave8671

Distinguished
The AMD Radeon HD 6450 only consumes 26 watts at max. Somethings not grounded in the case. Btw ATX is the motherboard type nothing to do with Pentium 4 CPU. Most motherboards are ATX now days. I would check the motherboard risers [ mounts] are in the right places. Make sure you sest the gpu correctly meaning no pins of the gpu showing use a flashlight. If the mobo was defective it would not boot either way.

Reactions: nadiiroo
Solution

nadiiroo

Prominent
May 11, 2018
Did i mention that i plug the monitor to the 230W PSU too ? , plus i have tried to use some duck tape on the standoffs to isolate them a few weeks ago even the IO shield , it booted with the GPU but the signal seemed not to hold and the screen went off

Dave8671

Distinguished
Plug ipthe monitor into the computer PSU? I am begining to think the mobo has a short in it. As long as the stand offs match the screw holes why would you need duck tape. Real duct tape has
aluminum in it which is bad to use. It will feel stiff. The common duck tape is not duct tape at all that you get at say CVS.

nadiiroo

Prominent
May 11, 2018
my bad i used chatterton tape .. to isolate a bit if there any short in the mobo , or should i look for plastic standoffs ? maybe that would do the trick ? and unplug the monitor from the PSU and have directly taking from the outlet ? .. maybe that would work ?

Dave8671

Distinguished
Most stand offs are made of brass or other metals. My case has has black metal type. The screw holes in the mobo should ground it. The monitor is taking power from the psu and from the system. That tape you used is electrical tape thats fine but you should not need it. I use a surge protector for my monitor.

nadiiroo

Prominent
May 11, 2018
Most stand offs are made of brass or other metals. My case has has black metal type. The screw holes in the mobo should ground it. The monitor is taking power from the psu and from the system. That tape you used is electrical tape thats fine but you should not need it. I use a surge protector for my monitor.

beleive mate i truly dont want to open up the case no more and test just to not get that 'No Signal' screen again .... im literally thinking about changing the mobo right now

man i started this whole adding a GPU to my Potato PC thing just to give it a go and make feel a bit a tiny bit snapier than it was ... and here i am frustrating by this piece of OLD Hardware

thanks for the help man if you have any other possibilities that would help

Dave8671

Distinguished
I think its time for a new computer build. You would get much better performance. Almost 6 months ago I built a new PC for about $800. I even used a gaming board. Though I do not intend to play games on it. The win10 1809 update caused alot of issues with gaming.

Reactions: nadiiroo

daPain58

Proper
Sep 30, 2019
I think its time for a new computer build. You would get much better performance. Almost 6 months ago I built a new PC for about $800. I even used a gaming board. Though I do not intend to play games on it. The win10 1809 update caused alot of issues with gaming.
I found many games to not work when I don't use Run as Administrator but I have also found that old games like NFS3 runs