Why my HDD Read speed so low?

mustcan

Commendable
Aug 18, 2017
Hello, need an help over here.
On steam disk usage display 4mb/s only sometimes thing like this make me frustated. Like update game n its take so long just because f**** slow disk usage. But sometimes disk usage could reach 80mb/s . What should i do to make the speed hdd constant?
-
Im using WD 500 GB Green
WDC WD5000AVCS-632DY1

Solution
First: don`t use GREEN series for normal/intense use! Those are LOW POWER - hence bad performance. It stops spinning when not used and that means it takes few seconds before normal speed is reached. Switch to Blue (normal use) or Black (performance use) ones or even better go with a SSD (at least for OS drive and keep green drive for storage space).
Second: Defrag often if using windows7 - google for how to fix 100% drive usage if using windows10.
Third: Check disk for defects (use hdtach or something similar...maybe some sectors are weaken and slow read/write them).
Forth: You can`t make reading speed constant on HDD. It involves physics laws. Manufacturers use memory buffers to compensate and then small ssd memory to read ahead and...

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
First: don`t use GREEN series for normal/intense use! Those are LOW POWER - hence bad performance. It stops spinning when not used and that means it takes few seconds before normal speed is reached. Switch to Blue (normal use) or Black (performance use) ones or even better go with a SSD (at least for OS drive and keep green drive for storage space).
Second: Defrag often if using windows7 - google for how to fix 100% drive usage if using windows10.
Third: Check disk for defects (use hdtach or something similar...maybe some sectors are weaken and slow read/write them).
Forth: You can`t make reading speed constant on HDD. It involves physics laws. Manufacturers use memory buffers to compensate and then small ssd memory to read ahead and give you impression of constant speed but physically is impossible. Google how HDD works if you need more info.

PS: Steam may require some files to be transferred over network and a slow transfer affects performance.

Solution