Question Why my laptop is lagging after changing thermal paste?

Dec 15, 2021
Hi,
I have a Fujitsu Lifebook E558 which is lagging after I've replaced the thermal paste of the CPU and GPU. I have checked the temperature with CPUID HWMonitor and I have normal stats, like 60 C Degree in Games. Even after 12 hours I get the same 60C Degree values on both my CPU and GPU, which is normal. I did a thin and even layer of thermal paste. I don't know if its because of my CPU, GPU, SSD or the thermal paste itself (maybe low quality thermal paste (actually its thermal grease)). Do you have any fix ideas for my problem?

Hey there,

What paste did you use? For smaller laptop chips, using the pea sized blob in center of chip and replacing the pipes/heatsink. The downward pressure of the heatsink will spread the paste nice and even from the center outwards. Then when tightening the screws back, do it in a criss cross fashion, so the pressure is even, Ideally you want something like Noctua NT H1 or TG Kryo, which are two of the best pastes for laptops.

Dec 15, 2021
I don't think that the thermal paste its the problem since I have normal temperatures for both my CPU and GPU. Before replacing the thermal paste I had temperatures in games like 80 C Degree and still not lagging like its doing right after I did the thermal paste on it :(

I have used Natek HUSKY thermal grease:

Color: Grey
Density @20°C (g/ml): 3,15
Viscosity @1rpm (Pa*s): 12500
Thermal Conductivity (Heat Flow): 4,63W/m*K
Thermal Impedance: 0,0087 °C*in^2/W
Weight Loss after 96 hours @100°C: 0,15%
Permittivity @106Hz: 2,4
Electrical Resistivity: 5,010^8 (Ohmcm)
Dielectric Strength: 2,5KV/mm
Operating Temperature: -30~280 °C
Volume: 4g/1,6ml

Last edited:
Whilst the two I've listed have much higher thermal conductivity around 8-9W/mk, if your application is okay, then it's as good as the previous paste in the laptop. With higher conductivity, you will have better heat transfer which could make the difference.

Try re-apply paste and see if that helps.

Dec 15, 2021
Here I have the temperatures of my CPU and GPU with the game running for few hours, but my laptop lagging very bad and I get delayed refresh on my desktop even with no process on.

Dec 15, 2021
Did you change the power plans at all? as in, change any settings. If so, you might be best just setting it to default. You can do this by opening powershell and pasting this: powercfg -duplicatescheme 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

This will reset the power plan to default.

I have tried with the powershell code and its reset the power plan, but doesn't change anything in the functionality of my laptop.

I also tried the Samsung Magician Tool and it wont let me use it because my SSD does not support the feature for that.