[SOLVED] Why my new Logitech G502 Hero gaming mouse feels oily and sticky? Any idea/fix :(

Apr 12, 2022
Hi guys,
I'd bought a new gaming mouse 2 weeks ago and after hardly using it for a week, it felt somewhat sticky from either side and the buttons as well which I found quite frustrating, I can still feel that weird stickiness now but in addition to being sticky in my hand, it also feels quite oily now and I'm not sure whether the mouse I got in the first place has been defective on arrival or after a day or 2 it started giving these weird sticky signs as I don't exactly remember but I guess the transparent wrapper wrapped around the mouse in the box made it slightly sticky after unboxing and after 3 or 4 days, it became a lot stickier and oily as well after a week. I'd appreciate any idea or suggestion to help me fix my mouse, thanks in advance. :(

Things you should know:
• I tried to clean it with a damp cloth twice because I didn't want to use any alcoholic cleaning agent to ruin the pattern made of rubber on either side of the mouse but no help.
• It's still under warranty but I don't think that the retail store would accept claim for that stickiness instead of cleaning it with those alcoholic cleaning agents which I'm afraid of using on my new mouse.

Ralston18

Titan
I would not do anything beyond Logitec's cleaning instructions.

The retail outlet itself may be a victim of being sent counterfeit or sub-standard products.

Or the mouse may have spent days and weeks in a hot shipping container where the heat caused the plastic(s) to degrade.

Heat is not good for most products and electronics in particular....

If the mouse remains sticky then I would return the mouse.

Reactions: Uzi-Pie
Apr 12, 2022
Two thoughts:

1) Where was the mouse purchased? Any chance that the mouse could be counterfeit or refurbished?

2) Cleaning:

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360023416333

If not comfortable with just those directions then check for any other cleaning instructions specific to the G502.
I purchased my mouse from a reputable retail outlet where I purchased most of the PC components so I don't think that there's a chance it could be counterfeit or even refurbished!

I tried to clean it now with 70% formulated isopropyl alcohol but it still feels the same or IDK if I'm using it wrong, should I try any other isopropyl alcohol?

I reviewed the Logitech device cleaning guide but I tried them and had no luck so, in the end, I had used that 70% formulated isopropyl alcohol which still doesn't seem to make any difference or should I be using it and reapplying once for 4 or more consecutive days as the stickiness is stubborn and doesn't go away in a single try?

Ralston18

Titan

The retail outlet itself may be a victim of being sent counterfeit or sub-standard products.

Or the mouse may have spent days and weeks in a hot shipping container where the heat caused the plastic(s) to degrade.

Reactions: Uzi-Pie
Apr 12, 2022

Understood, I'll try to return it soon or maybe buy a new one if nothing goes well, thanks :)

ASK THE COMMUNITY