Question WHY MY NVME SSD IS NOT GIVING FULL SPEED

Mar 26, 2021
my hp laptop model no 15da1041tu, bios version F.35,hp motherboard no 8532 has full support for NVMe (PCIe Gen 3.0 x 4) as said by expert huffer and i also self verified my m.2 slot it says m2x3 that support full 32gb/s bandwidth.So i purchased samsung 970 evo plus 500gb.IT is using samsung nvm controller with latest driver verison v3.3(samsung nvme driver).But samsung magician shows its running on NVMe (PCIe Gen 3.0 x 2) and i also verfied for same in crsytaldiskinfo tool.DUE TO THIS MY SSD is not getting proper bandwidth.I ALSO DID A BENCHMARK THAT SHOWS SPEED UPTO 1700MB/s which is very less as compared with advertised speed. i just purchased this ssd because huffer(HP EXPERT) advised me.BUT NOW i am very dissappointed that it is not working at full potentiol .IDEALLY it should work at PCIe Gen 3.0 x 4(3000mb/s speed) but it is working as PCIe Gen 3.0 x 2 (1700 mb/s) .ALL my drivers are uptodate ,bios is updated,my motherboard also has the power to run it in full speed then why its not working properly.PLease give me proper advice what is going on wrong here.KINDLY REPLY.

Check available options in BIOS.
It might be possible to switch M.2 mode from x2 to x4.

Anyway - nvme ssd running at PCIE 3.0 x2 vs PCIE 3.0 x4 mode is not a very big deal. It's still blazing fast.
And your workload most likely depends on random reads/writes (not sequential reads/writes). Unless you're sequentially reading/writing large files onto nvme ssd all the time.

Mar 26, 2021
Check available options in BIOS.
It might be possible to switch M.2 mode from x2 to x4.

Anyway - nvme ssd running at PCIE 3.0 x2 vs PCIE 3.0 x4 mode is not a very big deal. It's still blazing fast.
And your workload most likely depends on random reads/writes (not sequential reads/writes). Unless you're sequentially reading/writing large files onto nvme ssd all the time.

thanks for the reply but i am using hp laptop that does not provide any m.2 option in bios to change x2 to x4
also my workload is more.I should get more than 2800Mb/s rather than 1700 Mbs

Mar 26, 2021

Man your research is impressive.

But after the first post u mentioned i was properply satisfied so i purchased samsung 970 evo plus and expert huffer said it support Gen 3 x4 PCIe NVME M.2 SSD such as Samsung 970 Evo Plus is supported and will work.
but now i am dissappointed that it is lacking speed

difference is almost half
3400 mb/s
to
1700 mb/s

i also posted a new post
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...-IS-NOT-GIVING-FULL-SPEED/m-p/8019744#M628891
but no one is replying please help.

also my workload is more
And what exactly is your workload?
Are you copying large files to/from nvme drive all the time? Editing large files like high resolution photos/videos? Or anything like that?

If windows is installed on the drive, then workload is mostly 4k random reads/writes. Sequential access is mostly inconsequential there.
Don't worry about that. It will not play any role and you won't see it anywhere other than benchmarks.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
But after the first post u mentioned i was properply satisfied so i purchased samsung 970 evo plus and expert huffer said it support Gen 3 x4 PCIe NVME M.2 SSD such as Samsung 970 Evo Plus is supported and will work.
but now i am dissappointed that it is lacking speed
"supported", in that it is an NVMe capable port.
So the 970 runs.

It is also quite possible that it is PCIe 3.0 x2. Giving you exactly the speed you're seeing.

Reactions: Krotow
Mar 26, 2021
And what exactly is your workload?
Are you copying large files to/from nvme drive all the time? Editing large files like high resolution photos/videos? Or anything like that?

If windows is installed on the drive, then workload is mostly 4k random reads/writes. Sequential access is mostly inconsequential there.
Don't worry about that. It will not play any role and you won't see it anywhere other than benchmarks.

my workload

i uses virtual box for kali linux which is very heavy process
i also run android studio software which is also very heavy

So thats why i want full support for x4 speed

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 26, 2021
He said - it is supported and will work. Didn't say it will work at full speed though.

BTW - can you show screenshots with available options in BIOS of your laptop?
Could be M.2 settings are hidden somewhere in there.
(upload screenshots to imgur.com and post link)

while i checked my bios there is no such option for m.2 settings.BUT I DID FIND a article on dell community that is very much relatable
here link https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/...y-running-with-two-lanes-of-PCIe/td-p/7271216

please suggest me can i try this it would help or not for me .
also want to ask in this article it is mentioned that remove and reinsert of ssd can work
i have my windows already installed on my ssd .so after reinsert do i need to reinstall the ssd ??

Mar 26, 2021
Yes, I read that.
"Can't guarantee you will get 3200 mbps read speed but a Gen 3 x4 PCIe NVME M.2 SSD such as Samsung 970 Evo Plus is supported and will work. "

'supported' means it will run.
Might be running at x2, but it runs.

please help me with my last request i will not ask any question after this reply.PLEASE HELP FOR ONE LAST TIME

I DID FIND a article on dell community that is very much relatable
here link https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/...y-running-with-two-lanes-of-PCIe/td-p/7271216

please suggest me can i try this it would help or not for me .
also want to ask in this article it is mentioned that remove and reinsert of ssd can work
i have my windows already installed on my ssd .so after reinsert do i need to reinstall the ssd ??

Jul 11, 2021
What capacity is the NVMe? Almost always the "Speed Rating" quoted by manufacturers is for the highest capacity drive of that model. Typically the lower capacities have somewhat lower speeds and can be about half of the "Rated Speed" of the largest capacity.

Take these Samsung 980s for example.

f02-1.jpg

The manufacturer says "up to" 3,500 MB/s (r) and "up to" 3,000 MB/s (w). But taking a look at the Datasheet(linked below) for that model SSD you can see that the lesser 250GB model has a max write speed of less than half of the "Rated Speed" of the largest 1TB capacity.

https://s3.ap-northeast-2.amazonaws...c/Samsung_NVMe_SSD_980_Data_Sheet_Rev.1.1.pdf

The same is true for Endurance Ratings if anyone was wondering about that.