Question Why my Paging file usage is way higher than my RAM usage while gaming?

callofduty5843

Commendable
Aug 26, 2017
Here's my RAM and Paging file usage while playing Jedi Fallen Order

My pagefile is set to a max of 4000MB but instead is using more than the double of it, as you can see in the screenshot.

Meanwhile my RAM usage is way too low for this game (everything is on epic, 1080p)

My rig:

• i5 6500
  • GTX 1080 with custom cooler
  • 16GB Vengeance LPX Overclocked (4 slots fully occupied)
  • Playing on HDD, but on SSD the situation is the same

Here's my RAM and Paging file usage while playing Jedi Fallen Order
My pagefile is set to a max of 4000MB but instead is using more than the double of it, as you can see in the screenshot.
What? Where do you see that?
If you're referring to Committed memory value, then that is not pagefile.

Page file settings are 1000mb initial, 4000mb max. Currently allocated is 1000mb. It has never grown past initial size.

If you want to find out pagefile usage, use Performance Monitor (perfmon.msc).

callofduty5843

Commendable
Aug 26, 2017
What? Where do you see that?
If you're referring to Committed memory value, then that is not pagefile.

Page file settings are 1000mb initial, 4000mb max. Currently allocated is 1000mb. It has never grown past initial size.

If you want to find out pagefile usage, use Performance Monitor (perfmon.msc).

My bad, committed memory is still part of the RAM? Then why the ram usage is only 4 GB instead? 12 GB are still available

Because only 4.8Gb is needed at the moment. Rest of it is either free or in standby.

Committed memory is ram + used part of pagefile. If committed is below physically available ram, then it's all good. When committed gets larger than physically available ram, this means more physical ram is needed.

I'm not exactly sure, what issue you're trying to solve there?

callofduty5843

Commendable
Aug 26, 2017
Because only 4.8Gb is needed at the moment. Rest of it is either free or in standby.

Committed memory is ram + used part of pagefile. If committed is below physically available ram, then it's all good. When committed gets larger than physically available ram, this means more physical ram is needed.

I'm not exactly sure, what issue you're trying to solve there?

Thank you for your explanation, I'm seeing people Benchmarks online with this game and their RAM usage (always rivatuner stats) are way higher than mines.

Meanwhile my ram usage in rivatuner it's just 4/5GB