Why my PC doesn't respond after going into sleep mode by itself?

Maurice97

Distinguished
BANNED
May 24, 2015
when i leave my PC for a while it goes into sleep mode But sometimes it won't respond to my keyboard or mouse to wake it up again
What could cause that?
i built my PC few months ago and everything's new except the Processor and the HDDs because i can't find any new LGA 775 processor and i had 2HDDs laying around so i used them
My specs are:
Asus P5G41C M-LX
Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz
2x Adata 4GB DDR3 (8GB)
Radeon HD 7850 2GB Gigabyte OC edition
650 GB HDD (150GB and 500GB) Sata drives
and 500W PSU

Solution
I wouldn't think so. However if hibernation was enabled, then a HDD problem could cause problems. In sleep mode, the system goes into a low power state, but the contents of RAM remain because the system keeps enough power to the RAM to maintain it's contents. However with hibernation, the system state is saved to the HDD in a file (hiberfil.sys) and then the system shuts off completely.

Just for shits and giggles, you can disable hibernation like this:

Start a Command Prompt (Run as Administrator)
Type: powercfg.exe /hibernate off

This will completely disable hibernation.

Maurice97

Distinguished
BANNED
May 24, 2015

The fans keep spinning but it doesn't respond unless i restart my it

Maurice97

Distinguished
BANNED
May 24, 2015

Umm Nope the fans won't stop spinning in sleep mode unless i choose sleep mode manually, i'm using windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit

Then I'm not sure you are actually entering sleep mode. All the fans should shut off and monitor should go into power save mode.

It could be your computer is crashing when it attempts to enter sleep which would actually leave it on. Try disabling sleep mode and see if the computer stays on without crashing.

Maurice97

Distinguished
BANNED
May 24, 2015

can that be HDD failure?
i'm using my old HDDs they're like 5 years old, i used them in my old machine, i'm pretty sure they're not perfect

I wouldn't think so. However if hibernation was enabled, then a HDD problem could cause problems. In sleep mode, the system goes into a low power state, but the contents of RAM remain because the system keeps enough power to the RAM to maintain it's contents. However with hibernation, the system state is saved to the HDD in a file (hiberfil.sys) and then the system shuts off completely.

Just for shits and giggles, you can disable hibernation like this:

Start a Command Prompt (Run as Administrator)
Type: powercfg.exe /hibernate off

This will completely disable hibernation.

Solution

Maurice97

Distinguished
BANNED
May 24, 2015

Thanks a lot man!! problem solved :D

Latest posts