[SOLVED] Why my PC has slower internet than my phone ?

Mar 6, 2022
We've had some trouble the last week with the wifi but it's now fixed. I have a router that supports with what i measured is 250 mbps. I know this by using speedtest. The only thing is my phone gets this speed but not my PC.

I have been in settings to fix my wifi and maybe this is the cause of my wifi being slower on my pc. I don't think this is hardware related because i have a new wifi adapter that can support way over the speed my router gives.

Also my mother board can easily support this wifi speed . Does anyone know how i can possibly fix this ?

Solution
The problem with wifi is even very tiny difference in location can cause large difference in performance. On a desktop machines the antenna tend to be on the back of the case very close to lots of metal that will block wifi signals. The simplest first thing is to try turning the machine.

If you are using a USB adapter those many times have even smaller antenna and tend to be lower power than internal PCIE cards.

You also need to check that you are actually using the same radio band. A lot of routers are setup up for dummies and have the 2.4 and 5 radio named the same SSID. Most times the 5 radio will perform much better even though it tends to not have as good coverage.
With the radios named different things you...
The problem with wifi is even very tiny difference in location can cause large difference in performance. On a desktop machines the antenna tend to be on the back of the case very close to lots of metal that will block wifi signals. The simplest first thing is to try turning the machine.

If you are using a USB adapter those many times have even smaller antenna and tend to be lower power than internal PCIE cards.

You also need to check that you are actually using the same radio band. A lot of routers are setup up for dummies and have the 2.4 and 5 radio named the same SSID. Most times the 5 radio will perform much better even though it tends to not have as good coverage.
With the radios named different things you can be sure that both devices use the same radio.

Solution

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
I always suggest testing speed via ethernet first (as inconvenient as it is) to get the real throughput number for your desktop. Then, test your wifi at the same location, 2.4 vs 5 Ghz bands. Desktop WiFi is just too unpredictable at a distance for a number of factors.

Mar 6, 2022

With the radios named different things you can be sure that both devices use the same radio.
I have my adapter on top of my desktop not near any metal en put my phone right next to it and there is still the same difference. My adapter also supports both 2.4 and 5Ghz.
I am shure my that also my wifi router only sends out 2.4 signals.
thank for the help . its not like its a problem or anything it's just i'm a gamer and like to have the maximum performance and i see it's possible to get more so i hopped on this site
to see if any experts could help.

You will not get 250mbps on 2.4 it almost has to be running on 5 to get speeds that high.

Games do not care about the speed, they use less than 1mbps for most games and it will not improve the performance if you have more. What they do care about it the latency between packets. That is a huge problem for any wifi because interference can cause delays.
For optimum performance you do not want to play online games on wifi.

I thought it was affecting your game so it would have to be a lot less speed. If your phone shows 250 and your pc show 100 it will make no difference. The connection speeds can be different either because of settings or differences in what encodings the radio chips support.

Mar 6, 2022
You will not get 250mbps on 2.4 it almost has to be running on 5 to get speeds that high.

Games do not care about the speed, they use less than 1mbps for most games and it will not improve the performance if you have more. What they do care about it the latency between packets. That is a huge problem for any wifi because interference can cause delays.

I thought it was affecting your game so it would have to be a lot less speed. If your phone shows 250 and your pc show 100 it will make no difference. The connection speeds can be different either because of settings or differences in what encodings the radio chips support.
thanks a lot i will see how to fix latency then

Mar 6, 2022
On my previous thread i explained the situation with my wi-fi being slower on my pc than on my phone. In the mean time i've been watching some youtube videos about this .
I have watched some tutorials to get better internet speed but now my internet is only going about 60 on my pc and before it was at least 120 and on my phone it is 240.
Doest anyone have any legit solutions for this. I have a wireless dual-band wifi adapter from tp-link. It can handle over 850 mbps per second so thats not the problem
its also on top of my desktop not near any metal.

Mar 6, 2022

I also checked my Wi-Fi stats the netwerkband is 5GHz the is speed is what they say 780 Mbps all on wifi 5. I don't even get near 700Mpbs so yeah. I also download a lot of games i'd like not to wait that long for every game. I saw all of this in the settings of windows

Have you considered how many minutes total in a month the faster download will save you compared to all the time you spent trying to "fix" it. Things like steam are really stupid too. I have full gigabit and steam many times downloads at a much lower rate, it varies a lot between games. The even more intesting thing is it will download files stop downloading and update disk then download some more rather than do both at once. It tends to take more time installing and doing other things local that it takes to download the game.

You largest issue is you have been mislead into thinking that wifi number you see is the actual speed you can get. The router manufactures for a while have been playing the game who can tell the bigger lie to get a bigger number.
The wifi guys would call 1gbit ethernet 2gbit because they like to add transmit and receive speeds together. Unlike ethernet which can actually send and receive 1gbit at the same time wifi is half duplex and only 1 device can transmit.
So this cuts the actual wifi speed a lot and the more device active the more inefficent it becomes. In addition this all assume you are in some room with no interfernce with very strong signals. Any interference or lower signal levels will reduce the number even more.

In most cases you should never expect more than about 300mbps on even the very fanciest 802.11ac stuff using things like 4x4 mimo that few device support.

The 250 is not out of line with what most device get. Why your PC runs slower you are going to have to try to see what is different about the connection rate. The actual connect number you can look up in a table called MCS. Maybe it will give you a clue but other than maybe your pc is connecting using
some older data format most this stuff is negotiated between the router and the PC to get the best option.

In most cases there is very little you can do. You can do very little to solve interference from outside your house and the signal levels are mostly related to where the device is located and what is in the path.

Mar 6, 2022
Have you considered how many minutes total in a month the faster download will save you compared to all the time you spent trying to "fix" it. Things like steam are really stupid too. I have full gigabit and steam many times downloads at a much lower rate, it varies a lot between games. The even more intesting thing is it will download files stop downloading and update disk then download some more rather than do both at once. It tends to take more time installing and doing other things local that it takes to download the game.

You largest issue is you have been mislead into thinking that wifi number you see is the actual speed you can get. The router manufactures for a while have been playing the game who can tell the bigger lie to get a bigger number.
The wifi guys would call 1gbit ethernet 2gbit because they like to add transmit and receive speeds together. Unlike ethernet which can actually send and receive 1gbit at the same time wifi is half duplex and only 1 device can transmit.
So this cuts the actual wifi speed a lot and the more device active the more inefficent it becomes. In addition this all assume you are in some room with no interfernce with very strong signals. Any interference or lower signal levels will reduce the number even more.

In most cases you should never expect more than about 300mbps on even the very fanciest 802.11ac stuff using things like 4x4 mimo that few device support.

The 250 is not out of line with what most device get. Why your PC runs slower you are going to have to try to see what is different about the connection rate. The actual connect number you can look up in a table called MCS. Maybe it will give you a clue but other than maybe your pc is connecting using
some older data format most this stuff is negotiated between the router and the PC to get the best option.

In most cases there is very little you can do. You can do very little to solve interference from outside your house and the signal levels are mostly related to where the device is located and what is in the path.
Thanks , you seel like a guy who knows what he is talking about so i will listen to you’re advise and stop searching