Question Why my Ram kit of Kingston Fury HyperX not running at its advertised cl16 ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 27, 2023
Hi !

I bought a kit of ram ddr4 Kingston Fury HyperX 3200Mhz CL16 (8*2) , and when I tried to set the Xmp profil in the Bios I've found out there wasn't not Xmp profil for this kit , previously I used to run 12Gb perfectly with Xmp profil besides them being from different brands (8+4) , so I assumed this new kit doesn't have an Xmp profil on it for that reason and because it's running at the 3200Mhz as it supposed to be , but the problem is that when I open
CPU-Z it says that it's running at the slowest Cas Latency "22" ?
*My motherboard is Biostar B660 Mx-e pro and it handles overclocking above 3800Mhz
*My Cpu is an i5-12400F that it says at there website that it can run up to 3200MT/S for DDR4
* Note : I'm running the two sticks in A2 &B2 slots as recommended

- So my question is why is it running at the right speed and not the right CL ? and is there a way to fix this without overclocking , since it's advertised to run at 3200Mhz CL16 with no overclocking mentioned ?

Apr 14, 2023
Hi !

I bought a kit of ram ddr4 Kingston Fury HyperX 3200Mhz CL16 (8*2) , and when I tried to set the Xmp profil in the Bios I've found out there wasn't not Xmp profil for this kit , previously I used to run 12Gb perfectly with Xmp profil besides them being from different brands (8+4) , so I assumed this new kit doesn't have an Xmp profil on it for that reason and because it's running at the 3200Mhz as it supposed to be , but the problem is that when I open
CPU-Z it says that it's running at the slowest Cas Latency "22" ?
*My motherboard is Biostar B660 Mx-e pro and it handles overclocking above 3800Mhz
*My Cpu is an i5-12400F that it says at there website that it can run up to 3200MT/S for DDR4
* Note : I'm running the two sticks in A2 &B2 slots as recommended

- So my question is why is it running at the right speed and not the right CL ? and is there a way to fix this without overclocking , since it's advertised to run at 3200Mhz CL16 with no overclocking mentioned ?
3200 MHz is an 'overclock' of the 2400 MHz stick you bought. By raising the voltage of the stick, more oscillatios, blah blah, yet sometimes people group the events in 'iterations' of 'temporal magnitude'. 2400 - 2533 - 2666 - 2800 - 2933 - 3066 - 3200.

*My Cpu is an i5-12400F that it says at there website that it can run up to 3200MT/S for DDR4"

And I'm the zebra that will park all your purple Jaguars, good Sir.

I have no idea tbh ... And I have a question, if I decide to go with new kit should it only a kit that is listed in the motherboard QVL or any could work with it's dedicated Xmp ? Cause qi don't see much of ram brands tested from this motherboard
They test just a few of RAM available on the open market. If you can't find any of those just find best from QVL list and look for other makes and models with same main characteristics, frequency (at XMP) and Cl (Cas latency) number, the rest of settings will go accordingly as XMP is a standard.

Reactions: Marlon-31