[SOLVED] Why my Rx 580 8gb gts xxx exploded on my second day

Oct 9, 2019
So before 2 days i just bought my new rx 580 8gb gts xxx and 2 days of gaming and while i was playing,
some sparks just went out of the back of my pc and then it turned off i unplugged everything it smelled disgusting but it wasnt comming from the video card. it was coming from the psu i have TrendSonic 550W 230v PSU ,
nothing from the video card it just was hot it was brand new no scratches no nothing , brand new so i really wanna know is my gpu or psu cutted off. Thanks
And i wanna let u know that everything on my pc worked instead of the PSU i changed it and the pc turned on
but is 400 w so i dont wanna plug the video card even if is not or is it burned

Solution
I would toss the power supply if you think that is where the flames came from and get a decent replacement. Only one way to find out, test the GPU again.

1. 550W is being generous, it has 2 18A 12V (216W) rails for a combined 432W output.
  2. Modern computers use almost zero 3.3V and 5V, and they include that in the total. A sign of a very outdated design.
  3. Being multirail it means that you can't exceed the wattage on any one rail, which you may have done depending on how things were plugged in. In an ideal world they would have set it up so one rail provided power to the motherboard and CPU and the other for graphics.
  4. I see a lot of molex connectors in some of the images I am looking at, another sign of an old design. Did you...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would toss the power supply if you think that is where the flames came from and get a decent replacement. Only one way to find out, test the GPU again.

1. 550W is being generous, it has 2 18A 12V (216W) rails for a combined 432W output.
  2. Modern computers use almost zero 3.3V and 5V, and they include that in the total. A sign of a very outdated design.
  3. Being multirail it means that you can't exceed the wattage on any one rail, which you may have done depending on how things were plugged in. In an ideal world they would have set it up so one rail provided power to the motherboard and CPU and the other for graphics.
  4. I see a lot of molex connectors in some of the images I am looking at, another sign of an old design. Did you use adapters to power the GPU? (A bad idea)
  5. At 185W an RX580 is pushing quite close to what that power supply can deliver on a single rail.
  6. We don't know what temperature they have this rating at. Cheap power supply companies will rate it an unrealistic 25C, so any temperature above that it will deliver less power.
  7. Capacitors age. If it could deliver 216W per rail brand new under ideal conditions, then 185W was probably asking too much from the start. Not to mention spikes and sudden load changes.

So for a late model computer, you will want to look for a single rail design. They are easier to use and usually more modern. If you can list some local ones available to you, we can pick out the best one to get.

Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Can't find much information on sites that I can read, but what I can find is even worst that the one Eximo is quoting
:
Alimentation-ATX-Trendsonic-%E2%80%93-XPRO-5002-de-480-W.jpg

20A on the 12V, and unlikely to have much (if anything) in the way of protection.

Whether it damaged your GPU or not, the only way to know will be to test with a known working, quality PSU.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, looks like they have been around a while. I saw what looked like a few 550W models, but my guess would be they haven't bothered to update the internals.

Good rule of thumb, if it doesn't have the required number of PCIe power connectors, it shouldn't be used to run a GPU that needs them.

I can't tell Cyrillic languages apart, so we'll have to wait on what country this is in and see what is available.

With any luck just the power supply overloaded and popped and everything else is okay.

Oct 9, 2019
Yeah, looks like they have been around a while. I saw what looked like a few 550W models, but my guess would be they haven't bothered to update the internals.

Good rule of thumb, if it doesn't have the required number of PCIe power connectors, it shouldn't be used to run a GPU that needs them.

I can't tell Cyrillic languages apart, so we'll have to wait on what country this is in and see what is available.

I did really used an a adapter cuz i didnt had an 2x6 pin or 2x8 pin connectors comming from my psu is the adapter did the cut?

Last edited by a moderator: