[SOLVED] Why my Ryzen 2600X runs faster than 3950X for internet surfing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amigo1982

Distinguished
May 3, 2015
Hi,
I just sold my Ryzen 3950X and meanwhile i bought Ryzen 2600X until i upgrade to 5950X
I did not changed nothing else, only the CPU.
I am pretty much sure that the web pages and some office programs opens faster with Ryzen 2600X than 3950X
I do not understand?
Motherboard ASRock Gaming Phantom X570
ram 128GB 3600MHz Corsair LPX - with Ryzen 2600X cannot run at 3600MHz, the maximum is 2933MHz. With previous CPY Ryzen 3950X the ram speed was 3600MHz.
Windows 10 OS.
Samsung 960 PRO SSD
May be 16 cores Ryzen 3950X is somehow too heavy compared to the 6 core Ryzen 2600X or may be the CPU Base Clock speed is the reason.
Then which is the best Ryzen for fast loading web pages and heavy office apps? I am confused.

Solution
My only guess is there's a bunch of cross CCD sharing going on, which will introduce a lot of latency. Though Windows should schedule tasks on preferred cores first. Either way, a way to test to see if this is a problem is to set the application's processor affinity to half the cores (the first half or the last half).

The advice to "try a few CPUs" is not practical for most people. Especially if the only place you can get them from is a store that's an hour or so drive away.

Amigo1982

Distinguished
May 3, 2015
Ryzen 2600X loads the same web pages and office programs visibly faster than 3950X. At least on my PC. Of course benchmarks are the opposite situation. I switched only the CPU. Who do not believe, try it by yourself, i wrote what is the other hardware. I have had the same situation with Nvidia GTX1070 8GB. Computer worked heavy and switched to Radeon RX560 4GB, which is "less powerful" - internet browsing is faster now.
May be the reason is the better basic core speed of the 2600X, may be 3950X is more heavy with so many cores and draws more power. Although my PSU is Corsair AX1200i I do not know, that`s why i am asking here.
So my advice - do not listen benchmarks and not alway high price CPU will make the difference. Try by yourself a few CPU-s and then decide.
Basically my question now is which Ryzen then would be best for fast internet surfing. Unfortunately i have many browser extensions and it is very important to have fast cpu for loading web pages.
I bet some of the 5-th generation with high clock speed?
Thanks.

Last edited:
My only guess is there's a bunch of cross CCD sharing going on, which will introduce a lot of latency. Though Windows should schedule tasks on preferred cores first. Either way, a way to test to see if this is a problem is to set the application's processor affinity to half the cores (the first half or the last half).

The advice to "try a few CPUs" is not practical for most people. Especially if the only place you can get them from is a store that's an hour or so drive away.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.