[SOLVED] Why my ssd losing health swiftly? Down to 88% in 10 months

Dec 6, 2020
I bought my on February 2020. My SSD already lost 12% of health in this period. Its health is 88% currently.
Lifetime writes:32.6 TB
Power on time: 150 days, 11 hours
I have installed windows 4 times in total.
I lose 3% health since installing windows last time( 8-28-2020)
Ssd model: Corsair force mp510 nvme m.2 480 GB

Last edited:

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
That's a lot of writes for a 480GB SSD. If you can account for that amount of writes based on your downloads and copy operations, then I believe that the reported lifetime writes should be accurate.

I have a 1TB SSD NVMe, but I also have a 500GB spindle drive for downloads, scratch data, and other stuff. I don't write to the SSD unless I'm committed to it.

USAFRet

Titan
I use it only for gaming. I have downloaded lots of game to my ssd. Sometimes I download movies.
I recommend you need to monitor your applications and how you "download" these movies.
A torrent client running all the time, or malware delivered by a "game" or "movie" download.

Just saying....that amount of data in 10 months is quite a lot.

For instance, what is running right now? Not things you are actively using...but maybe running in the background.

Dec 6, 2020
I recommend you need to monitor your applications and how you "download" these movies.
A torrent client running all the time, or malware delivered by a "game" or "movie" download.

Just saying....that amount of data in 10 months is quite a lot.

For instance, what is running right now? Not things you are actively using...but maybe running in the background.
i have monitored it in task manager. Nothing running in background. And I don't use torrent.

Any reason why you needed to reinstall Windows every couple months? Though that would only account for a relatively small portion of the write activity.

SSDs have a limited number of writes that can be performed to each cell, and that's what the health rating is indicating, the number of remaining writes that the manufacturer says the drive should be able to handle. At your current rate of writing over 100GB of data to the drive every day on average, you have been using around 1% of the available writes per month. That's a high amount, but even if you continued at that rate, it might still take over 7 years to burn through all of the available writes, by which point you may have switched to using a different SSD as you primary drive. If you did hit 0% though, depending on the drive it might either lock it into a read-only mode, or allow it to continue working until the drive fails, which could potentially be a long time afterward, as manufacturers often underestimate their official endurance ratings.

Since you mentioned primarily using the system for gaming, might you have some video-recording feature active, that could be writing a video file to the drive in the background while gaming? I believe Nvidia ShadowPlay, for example, offers an "Instant Replay" feature that can be set to constantly record a rolling buffer of video footage to the drive, allowing one to save footage of recent gameplay after it happens. Something like that could eat through SSD endurance.