Why need more than 486-dx2-66?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

Hey, as a hobby electronic musician i must add the that all audio applications need much cpu - speed and ram and a fast hd. esp. wave editing and sequencing....

G

if anyone knows the answer be sure to let me know i have a 486 dx2 lying around ... so .. i can sell my other system then (p3 600 256mb ram)..

lol

Hey man i dont know .. i just think i do !!

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>> i have a 486 dx2 lying around

let face it, people did superb complex audio-video editing on Amiga2000s, for a long, long time... sure you need $12,000 worth of equipment (toasters, vcrs, memory, etc), but its ALL still governed by a trusty old Motorola at 20Mhz or so...
so if you have $12,000 lying around somewhere, you can make EXCELLENT use of your old computer:)

G

no...sample editing needs much ram + cpu power. some softsynth´s even more!!!! (reactor)!!!

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If anybody gets this, I need to know the minimum hardware for Windows98. I am being asked to install Windows on a 386 but Im pretty sure it aint gonna work. Any feedback?

If at first you don't succede, skydiving isn't for you.
<font color=blue>Intel Inside</font color=blue> = Idiot Outside

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My experience is that Win9x will run on a 386DX but I don't think it'll run on an SX.

BTW: I find 98 will run on more older stuff then 95 will and it's faster too

- JW

Tormented

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I ran windows 95 on 386 dx with 4 mb ram, it worked
slow as hell but worked.

<b>-----------------------</b>
-<font color=red><b>R.K.</b></font color=red>

G

Even if it does go on and run what areyou going ot do with it, you will have to boot it up 3 weeks in advance.... :)

M

one of the first UK T-Bird users....

seanmcne

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Do you have issues with change? I know you are intitled to your opinion. But what about our own advancements? If we still had the old 486's now where would we be as a society. Most of the things that have come about have driven prices down a lot. I remember when I bought my first CPU and RAM... :) I got a hell of a deal for 16MB only about $165. Now even if you figure inflation in 16MB of ram is $10, it costs more to ship it. That is just an example. Look at the big picture and what it has enabled many PC users to do. Like graphic artists and print shops etc.

Tormented

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
With a 486 we can do alot of stuff,even with a 386
people used to do stuff with even slower PCs, I do know that
3d rendereing on a 486 of a sceene will take so long, but those applications require alot of math, thats why there
are multiple processors boards, and if written correctly I think any 3d rendering software will work just fine with a 486-dx2-66.

Do u know what I really miss, the MODS,S3m,it,xm and not those mp3 craps!
ah, ASM is greate, C is greate too, not those Basic,Java stuff Visual Stupid products.

Well I guess what was ,was time to move on!

Tormented

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think the max ram on 386 is 32 mb (though 386 can access
4 GB of ram! 32bit ).

Tormented

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I bought my first 386-dx40 when ram prices were 100$ a Meg
i bought 4 megs...

priit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have 486DX2/66 (AMD) with 32Mb RAM running Win2k Pro... next thing I try is booting W2k with 16Mb RAM. Just want to see how _SLOW_ can one OS be. I have working 286/12Mhz with 1Mb of RAM, too (running Minix 2.0)...

Tormented

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Minix ?
IS that some kind of unix, where can i get it ?
I have some 286-12 with 4 mb ram, and want to use it.

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think thats the same processor my TI calculator uses, hehe. And I saw a Compaq PDA at my school playing DOOM. Kinda made me laugh, I used to play it on my old 486 and now it can be played faster on sometihng about 2 times the size of the 486 chip, lol

If at first you don't succede, skydiving isn't for you.

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
that would truly make a MOTHERboard, heheheheh, get it cause its so big, hahahahaha

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

Tormented

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Remember this post?

well I now have assembled at home a 486 and a 286 and will be running some stuff and see If I'll need something better than 486. :lol:

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Games And 3D Graphics and Audio processing Will need immense amount of computing power, no matter what! Its just that, anything they can do in a 286, they'll do better in a P3/Athlon.

Game engines aren't usually developed using the optimisations in visual Development Environments. It is probably developed in those things, because they help a lot in debugging and spotting different things in the code. But, they are usually hand optimised. Quake 3 is written in C I think. I don't think its in C++.

You can tell who makes all their games in Visual environments like VC++ and just presses F7 to compile and then puts it in a box to sell. Its the same people that are complaining because the GF3 Programmable shaders have to be used via its assembler code.

What amazes me is Windows and Office needing the amount of resorces they do. I used to have Word 2 which came in two disks I think. I was surprised How much more Office 6 needed. Office 95 was almost exactly the same as 6, but needs almost twice of every resource. Why the Hell Should Windows 98 need so much more resources than Windows CE?

<font color=red><i>Tomorrow I will live, the fool does say
today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday