[SOLVED] Why no 110 block for fibre optics?

sk3k2k

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
Why no 110 block for fibre optics?

It only uses a patch panel.

Also, why can't you eliminate the patch panel for copper connection and connect directly from the switch to the front side of the 110 (assuming a company creates RJ-45 jacks on the front side of the 110 block?

Solution

Also, why can't you eliminate the patch panel for copper connection and connect directly from the switch to the front side of the 110 (assuming a company creates RJ-45 jacks on the front side of the 110 block?
There ARE 110 punch downs that have RJ45 on the other side.
Fiber requires careful alignment between the two fiber cables. There ARE fiber coupler banks that have the same function as a 110 punchdown.

kanewolf

Titan

There ARE 110 punch downs that have RJ45 on the other side.
Fiber requires careful alignment between the two fiber cables. There ARE fiber coupler banks that have the same function as a 110 punchdown.

Solution

sk3k2k

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
1. No angle. I'm studying for the Network+ exam and the video doesn't specify why there is
no 110 block for fiber. Well, if there is none for fiber, why is there one for copper?

2. So that means fiber is using a patch panel only. So if it's using that only, why not eliminate the 110 block from copper and just use a patch panel.

He doesn't explain any of this. If the exam asks me why this and why not that, I'm screwed.

kanewolf

Titan
1. No angle. I'm studying for the Network+ exam and the video doesn't specify why there is
no 110 block for fiber. Well, if there is none for fiber, why is there one for copper?

2. So that means fiber is using a patch panel only. So if it's using that only, why not eliminate the 110 block from copper and just use a patch panel.

He doesn't explain any of this. If the exam asks me why this and why not that, I'm screwed.
Have you ever installed fiber? It sounds like you don't understand fiber.
I answered WHY fiber requires couplers, because fibers have to be aligned.

Reactions: beers

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
I took Net+ like 8 years ago but it didn't have anything of that nature on there. IIRC it's pretty basic but you may be simultaneously overthinking this while underthinking it.

Well, if there is none for fiber, why is there one for copper?
Copper and fiber have different physical properties. If you think about it, copper just needs to make contact for to complete the electrical circuit. With fiber you're literally shooting light down the fiber and need to lose the least amount of it possible en transit.

Patch panels for copper use similar 110 style punchdowns into 8p8c jacks.
Patch panels for fiber are just couplers that align the fibers together.

Reactions: Alabalcho