Question Why no OC for windowed game?

ultrarunner100

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Hey guys;
I have a new build, and have been experimenting with overclocking.
Here are my specs:

ASUS Tuf Gaming X570 Plus WiFi
Ryzen 7 3700X with Wraith Prism cooler
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC 3X 8G
Monitor 1: NEC EA244WMi @ 1920 x 1200 @ 60Hz, Monitor 2: Samsung 2494HS @ 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz
G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz
2ea WD Blue SN550 NVMe M.2 1TB SSD
Seasonic Focus GM-750
Fractal Designs Meshify C (no glass)
4 case fans (2x 140mm front, 1x 120mm rear, 1x 120mm top) controlled by ASUS Q-Fan control.

I have been playing with Unigine Superposition benchmark, and using MSI Afterburner.
First, I ran the scanner and test in Afterburner to determine the correct amount of OC for my card.

When I run Superposition benchmark, I see the GPU clock increase when the game starts.
But if I run another game (Run8 V2 train sim), which runs in windowed (not fullscreen) mode, there is no increase in GPU clock at any time, even though the FPS in that game is not maxed out (60FPS is the highest I get with my monitor)

It's not that I'm getting poor FPS in the game, but I am interested in getting the best FPS possible when the game is maxed out.

Thanks for your help
Ultrarunner

Edit: Just had a thought.
Could the reason that I'm not seeing any improvement in FPS in my (windowed) game by OC the GPU is that this game is not putting enough stress on the GPU to cause it to overclock?
And the fact that increasing system RAM from 2100MHz to 3200MHz does allow a 5 FPS improvement indicate that for this particular game, it's the CPU/memory and not the GPU that is being stressed?

Last edited:
Hey guys;
I have a new build, and have been experimenting with overclocking.
Here are my specs:

ASUS Tuf Gaming X570 Plus WiFi
Ryzen 7 3700X with Wraith Prism cooler
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC 3X 8G
Monitor 1: NEC EA244WMi @ 1920 x 1200 @ 60Hz, Monitor 2: Samsung 2494HS @ 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz
G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz
2ea WD Blue SN550 NVMe M.2 1TB SSD
Seasonic Focus GM-750
Fractal Designs Meshify C (no glass)
4 case fans (2x 140mm front, 1x 120mm rear, 1x 120mm top) controlled by ASUS Q-Fan control.

I have been playing with Unigine Superposition benchmark, and using MSI Afterburner.
First, I ran the scanner and test in Afterburner to determine the correct amount of OC for my card.

When I run Superposition benchmark, I see the GPU clock increase when the game starts.
But if I run another game (Run8 V2 train sim), which runs in windowed (not fullscreen) mode, there is no increase in GPU clock at any time, even though the FPS in that game is not maxed out (60FPS is the highest I get with my monitor)

It's not that I'm getting poor FPS in the game, but I am interested in getting the best FPS possible when the game is maxed out.

Thanks for your help
Ultrarunner

Edit: Just had a thought.
Could the reason that I'm not seeing any improvement in FPS in my (windowed) game by OC the GPU is that this game is not putting enough stress on the GPU to cause it to overclock?
And the fact that increasing system RAM from 2100MHz to 3200MHz does allow a 5 FPS improvement indicate that for this particular game, it's the CPU/memory and not the GPU that is being stressed?
Well yes, running a game in a window uses less resources, that's the reason it exists,

Reactions: Phaaze88

ultrarunner100

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
So I guess the reason I'm not seeing an increase in GPU clock speed is that the (windowed) game isn't making serious demands on the GPU.
I'm very new to overclocking; just overclocked my RAM to its advertised 3200MHz, and ran the scanner thingy on MSI Afterburner.