Why no output on VGA monitor with Ryzen 2200G/ASUS PRIME A320 M-K?

nunoanjos1

Reputable
Apr 18, 2018
I've bought recently a computer with Ryzen 2200G APU and ASUS PRIME A320 M-K motherboard.

I only had a VGA monitor, this motherboard has a VGA port, so at first glance, even at the store they assumed it would work fine.

When I got home and first turned on the PC, disappointment. No image at all on the VGA monitor.

I checked online I already had the latest BIOS installed.

I tried connecting through a HDMI cable to a TV, only then I got image and could access the BIOS, start to install the operating system.

Some days later, in Windows 10, I still had the HDMI TV as 1st monitor, I connected the VGA monitor to the VGA port as 2nd monitor, surprise surprise, I finally managed to get output on the VGA monitor, which told me it works but only in Windows, for some reason, when I rebooted, outside Windows, I couldn't see anything via VGA, only through HDMI.

Is it a motherboard issue (ASUS), or processor issue (AMD)? I've contacted both companies, AMD told me it is recommended to use digital connections such as HDMI, they said nothing about VGA, which leads me to assume AMD didn't worry about full VGA support (since it tends to disappear in the near future), hence why it doesn't always work. I'd still like to know the technical explanation for this, to be better informed.

Solution
The Ryzen uses Vega graphics. AMD and Nvidia do not support VGA in their latest GPUs. That AM4 socket supports non Ryzen CPUs. Those non Ryzen CPUs use R7 graphics which might explain why the motherboard has VGA support.

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018
Well, VGA is analog, not digital.

What do you mean by "outside Windows"? Do you mean the BIOS/UEFI or do you mean another operating system? If so, which one?

I ask because, if you couldn't see an image in BIOS (Basic Input/Output System, it handles all hardware on boot before letting the OS take over), but could see it in Windows, then I suspect that the motherboard doesn't support VGA in the BIOS, but Windows still does.

Theoretically, UEFI should work with VGA since it's a Microsoft redesign of BIOS, and Windows supports VGA... but that's just a guess. Furthermore, it's well past my bed time and I'm nodding off here. Hopefully someone else can correct me if I'm wrong somewhere. I'm not exactly an expert.

nunoanjos1

Reputable
Apr 18, 2018

By outside Windows I meant everything outside Windows, between the time you turn on the PC and Windows starts to load, take over. Yes, I also meant my BIOS/UEFI, all that white text on black background reminiscent of good old MS-DOS. American Trends text, press DEL to enter BIOS, ASUS logo saying IN SEARCH OF INCREDIBLE, etc.

The motherboard doesn't support VGA in the BIOS? Elementary, my dear Watson. That is a possible explanation. However, something doesn't add up. As you can see on any pic online, the ASUS PRIME A320 M-K motherboard has a VGA port, right? Why wouldn't it support VGA if it has a VGA port?

Sweet dreams, sweet prince.

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018

I never claimed to be an expert but... was that sarcasm? If so, it's not appreciated; especially if you're the one asking for an opinion. If it's just flowery language... well, neat; I haven't come across anyone like you yet - it's a pleasure :)

Anyway, I was specifically answering " I'd still like to know the technical explanation for this, to be better informed."

And so, I gave a technical explanation, detailing "how" the BIOS may not support it by explaining what the BIOS is, and what it's job is.

But, since that isn't what you're looking for - you seem to want a diagnosis - I've done some research. Current Ryzen, Athlon, and A-Series processors do not natively support VGA (according to the AMD website). Instead, a motherboard that has a VGA port needs to include an on-board converter to turn the processor's native output into a VGA signal.

So it appears your motherboard either has a faulty component, or the BIOS doesn't take advantage of the converter. But, I'm not physically there to verify anything, so this is an educated guess.

Good luck.

nunoanjos1

Reputable
Apr 18, 2018

I'm not sure what you mean by sarcasm, was just a little innocent humor. Actually, I said your 1st explanation might be right. I apreciate your replies or from anyone, anything can be useful to solve this mystery.

Someone sent me this article yesterday:

https://newsroom.intel.com/news-releases/leading-pc-companies-move-to-all-digital-display-technology-phasing-out-analog/

It seems AMD terminated support for VGA 3 years ago, which confirms my suspicions until now that the Ryzen 3 2200G isn't 100% ready for VGA.

Also, I suspect the BIOS version as well. This might be caused by more than 1 culprit, possibly from both companies, ASUS and AMD.

I think a faulty component is unlikely, or the VGA port wouldn't work at all, correct? I managed to get the VGA monitor working using the VGA port but only in Windows 10 as 2nd monitor, so the VGA port worked at least in Windows, hence the BIOS version I mentioned might have something to do with the issue.

I'm not a hardware expert as well but from my understanding, a Ryzen 3 2200G APU has the CPU and the GPU both integrated into just 1 piece of hardware, it's different from other CPUs like many Intel CPUs that have integrated graphics, my guess is those have the integrated graphics part embedded into the motherboard, so from what I read, we're talking about 2 distinct components that connect in 2 different ways to the motherboard? Not exactly sure, I never assembled motherboards myself.

Anyway, thanks for your guesses and let me warn you ahead of time: NONSENSE HUMOUR COMING, you better not call me sarcastic or I shall send your computer a virus that will burn your CPU and your village. Muahahaha. Goodbye sir. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. END OF HUMOUR.

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018

Sweet, you weren't being sarcastic, awesome! It's a pleasure to meet someone with an actual sense of humor (though text does make things hard to determine). And you're right, Intel and AMD do internal graphics differently; in just about the manner you said. There was one generation of Intel processors where they tried to put it all on the processor, but that was short-lived.

nunoanjos1

Reputable
Apr 18, 2018

A pleasure to make your make your acquaintance as well, sir.

Seems like that is the definitive answer. I've seen a few people asking the same question I did, even on this forum and other people just replied to them that if the motherboard has VGA port, it will certainly work, which is the wrong information and misleading. For example:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3660580/ryzen-apu-vga-monitor.html#20904203

The person at the store who sold the computer to me also told me the same, that it has VGA port so it will work. In reality, those people aren't that well informed about Ryzen 3 and 5, which were released very recently, in February 2018.

I think more information online about this would help users, there's not enough information.

I contacted AMD and ASUS supports, even AMD support couldn't give me a direct definitive answer and brief explanation. As for ASUS support, in the last e-mail I got from them, an ASUS representative told me "your motherboard doesn't have a onboard VGA port". I was like what?????? All it takes is looking at the back of my motherboard to see a VGA port there, what does he mean? He doesn't know his company's products?