Why no warning on 1030 ripoff

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Here is the actual Forbes article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/07/09/buyer-beware-nvidias-geforce-gt-1030-is-a-grossly-misleading-gpu/#182ba65493d9

Seems this is a fairly recent issue. Also, not surprising. GPUs have been offered in the past that use the same core components while using different memory types. This variation is not uncommon, especially with lower end GPUs.

I don't see a "ripoff" here, but it is certainly something buyers need to be aware of when researching which products to buy.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It is not uncommon for lower end GPUs to come in both GDDR3 and GDDR5 variants. This has been the case for years. This DDR4 variant of the GT 1030 fits into a similar scenario.

Ripoff is not the right characterization. It is up to the buyer to research the products they purchase, to be informed in order to make the best decision.

Not seeing a conspiracy here (the box is labeled clearly, it seems).

johnwkuntz

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018

johnwkuntz

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Your looking at it from an informed perspective. Your average consumer on being told that a previous gen GT 1030 is a reasonable entry level card isn't going to be looking at the memory spec on the label. I agree with Forbes, the card should be rebadged with a descriptive, Nvidia and partners are quick to rebadge upgrades as "TI" .
But we obviously both have our own opinions on this. I'm just glad to see that Tom's had caught and covered it and I had just missed the article.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
First thing any Vegan does when purchasing any food in a box they've not bought before, is read the list of ingredients. Can't see as buying pc components being any different. The memory, clocks, cores, whatever are listed on the box, but like ingredients they may not be highlighted. Kinda upto the consumer to take some responsibility on the purchase.