Question Why one of the RAM reports speed differently, even if they are all the same, look the same and puchased in pairs?

Altair44

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2014
So I have purchased 2 sets of RAMs long ago. I didnt notice this before. Just replaced the older motherboard with a ASUS TUF B560 Gaming Plus WIFI one. When I booted up I see one of the RAMs is showing speeds differently (all the RAMs are rated at 2400 by corsair. They all look same.). XMP is enabled. Task manager reports Speed as 2400 MHz. Why one RAM is reporting like this? Images below for your reference.

BIOS Image

CPU-Z Slot 1 Info

CPU-Z Slot 2 Info (What happened here??!!)

CPU-Z Slot 3 Info

CPU-Z Slot 4 Info

(Providing Links only, as I could not insert images with link for some reason. It just says "Something went wrong....")

Anyways, I just want to know why it is like this? Am I loosing performance in any way due to this? If yes, how to fix this?

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
It could be a faulty stick. It has the same part number as the other 3
I don't see what you can do to fix it, the other stick in same channel running at correct speed.
Am I loosing performance in any way due to this?
possibly a little bit but I doubt its a huge amount.

one channel is at 2400
other is uncertain, I think it runs at speed of slowest ram so 2132ish

I would run memtest on the one stick that is running slow and make sure its okay
Try running memtest86 on the stick up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.
Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

other option is update BIOS and see if it fixes it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You could check sticks with just 1 set in each time to see if it still runs slow. It might be because they not all the same set, getting XMP to work on 2 different sets matched together isn't guaranteed. Its why its normally better to buy the amount you want in one set, less chance of weirdness.

Altair44

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2014
It could be a faulty stick. It has the same part number as the other 3
I don't see what you can do to fix it, the other stick in same channel running at correct speed.

possibly a little bit but I doubt its a huge amount.

one channel is at 2400
other is uncertain, I think it runs at speed of slowest ram so 2132ish

I would run memtest on the one stick that is running slow and make sure its okay
Try running memtest86 on the stick up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.
Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

other option is update BIOS and see if it fixes it.
It completed successfully. No errors were reported.

Altair44

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2014
You could check sticks with just 1 set in each time to see if it still runs slow. It might be because they not all the same set, getting XMP to work on 2 different sets matched together isn't guaranteed. Its why its normally better to buy the amount you want in one set, less chance of weirdness.
Does not matter where I move that RAM stick, it still shows the same speed. I also updated BIOS. Guess I just got a mismatched stick. Unfortunately the sticker on the ram says 2400...

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you try with just the one set in?

Was the set sealed when you got ram? I guess its possible to fake the code on ram

both have same XMP 2400 timings but show different everything else. I wonder if CPU Z is reading ram right.
what does Memtest see the stick as?

When I booted up I see one of the RAMs is showing speeds differently
where does it show this? anywhere apart from CPU Z?

Last edited:
So I have purchased 2 sets of RAMs long ago. I didnt notice this before. Just replaced the older motherboard with a ASUS TUF B560 Gaming Plus WIFI one. When I booted up I see one of the RAMs is showing speeds differently (all the RAMs are rated at 2400 by corsair. They all look same.). XMP is enabled. Task manager reports Speed as 2400 MHz. Why one RAM is reporting like this? Images below for your reference.

BIOS Image

CPU-Z Slot 1 Info

CPU-Z Slot 3 Info

CPU-Z Slot 4 Info

(Providing Links only, as I could not insert images with link for some reason. It just says "Something went wrong....")

Anyways, I just want to know why it is like this? Am I loosing performance in any way due to this? If yes, how to fix this?
Slot 2 is a different stick but it has the same timings for 2400 speed.
If task manager shows the speed at 2400 then it would seem the bios is happy and did not down clock the ram.

So I have purchased 2 sets of RAMs long ago.
This is one problem, because ALL memory should preferably be purchased in one kit, where all DIMMs will match and will have been tested at the factory for compatibility with each other. Adding multiple kits or DIMMs together is introducing the possibility of incompatibility, even if they are supposedly the same part or model number.

There are multiple reasons why this can happen and this is one of them.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/amd-ram-compatibility.3210050/#post-19785792

one of the RAMs is showing speeds differently

This, is not possible. All memory has to run at the same speed. I'd say there is a very real hardware problem of some kind. Most likely the motherboard but possibly the memory. If one DIMM runs at 2133mhz then by rote the others must as well. If I saw this on my bench, I would likely begin with an RMA of the motherboard because it's not supposed to be able to happen and might not be, and might only be being misreported because the board doesn't like something about that DIMM. I'd also probably RMA that memory kit if you have the original purchase information. Memory generally has a lifetime warranty for most brands.

Altair44

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2014
did you try with just the one set in?

Was the set sealed when you got ram? I guess its possible to fake the code on ram

both have same XMP 2400 timings but show different everything else. I wonder if CPU Z is reading ram right.
what does Memtest see the stick as?

where does it show this? anywhere apart from CPU Z?
In the BIOS image I gave link to and in CPUZ

This shouldn't matter. If the sticks can't ALL run at the A-XMP or XMP profile settings, or whatever the advertised profile specifications are, then they should all default to whatever the lowest speed DIMM is OR to the JEDEC default baseline. There is no way, ever, you should be see three DIMMs at one speed and one DIMM at a different speed, much less different timings. Not even if you had four different DIMMs that were all different speeds and timings. That's when the board takes over, trains itself and finds ONE configuration setting that works for all DIMMs or just defaults to the baseline standard with ONE set of timings that works for every DIMM and will allow the system to POST. When that can't happen, then you get no POST problems from the incompatibilities with each other and with the platform's preferences but what you don't get is three DIMMs running at one configuration and another DIMM running at something different.

I am dead serious when I say I don't even know how this is possible because I've never once seen it happen ever before. It's not supposed to be able to.

Honestly, I'd RMA the memory kit, the WHOLE kit, that came with the stick that is running at the wrong speed. After doing that if it doesn't correct the issue, replace the board.

Alternatively, if you move the DIMM from slot to slot and the problem follows it then it's most likely the memory. If every stick you put in that or any other slot shows a different speed, then it's likely the motherboard. There IS always a very slim outside chance, and I'm reaching here, of it being a CPU issue since that's where the memory controller resides, but it's far more likely to be a bad stick or bad board.

And actually I think I HAVE seen this before, and it was a bad stick.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I did wonder if it was faulty stick on first post.

I thought it was odd that it was strange it was reporting as 2400

I do recall the thing about running at lowest speed of ram in channel. But it running at 2400 was what had me questioning CPU-Z results. Its why I asked where I did :)

Got an even bigger problem though, and it's EXACTLY like what I outlined in the post at the link I posted above, and here:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/amd-ram-compatibility.3210050/#post-19785792

Because all of those DIMMs in the CPU-Z screen shots show as the exact same part number, however as we know three of them are running at one speed while one is running at another, AND if you look to the right, three of them show as single rank while one of them shows as dual rank and the one showing as dual rank AIN'T the one that's running at a different speed. So there are problems all over the board with this configuration and it's a perfect example of why I always recommend that you buy ALL of the memory you think you are ever going to need in one kit because even two weeks later if you buy an identical kit you might not be getting an identical product and in this case I think something more is going on but I can say what for sure.

I can say, that I'd return all of that memory for RMA with Corsair and show them the screenshots and explain that there are issues with both different types of ranks within the same kit and one stick from one of the kits running or at least showing that it's running at a different speed.

Other than that, I'd recommend that you buy a single kit with all the capacity you need and then maybe RMA or sell these kits. IDK really what to tell you if you bought them "long ago" other than to RMA them with Corsair.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I agree about one set, not two. Only time you might be right with 2 sets if they both bought from same shop on same day, and even then it might not work.

But even still... 2 different sticks in 1 set is an anomaly. Something really strange there. They have the same labels so I wonder how that happens. Wanders off to find videos about ram making factories...

BIOS Image

CPU-Z Slot 1 Info

CPU-Z Slot 3 Info

CPU-Z Slot 4 Info

2400 is the max xmp speed for the ram.
Task manager says the ram is running at 2400.
What are you trying to fix?

Altair44

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2014
Got an even bigger problem though, and it's EXACTLY like what I outlined in the post at the link I posted above, and here:

Because all of those DIMMs in the CPU-Z screen shots show as the exact same part number, however as we know three of them are running at one speed while one is running at another, AND if you look to the right, three of them show as single rank while one of them shows as dual rank and the one showing as dual rank AIN'T the one that's running at a different speed. So there are problems all over the board with this configuration and it's a perfect example of why I always recommend that you buy ALL of the memory you think you are ever going to need in one kit because even two weeks later if you buy an identical kit you might not be getting an identical product and in this case I think something more is going on but I can say what for sure.

I can say, that I'd return all of that memory for RMA with Corsair and show them the screenshots and explain that there are issues with both different types of ranks within the same kit and one stick from one of the kits running or at least showing that it's running at a different speed.

Other than that, I'd recommend that you buy a single kit with all the capacity you need and then maybe RMA or sell these kits. IDK really what to tell you if you bought them "long ago" other than to RMA them with Corsair.
I would try RMA, but bought these RAMs nearly 2 years ago. Lost all the bills. Here they dont take your stuff if you dont have a bill. That is first, then they just put it on a test bed and show that it works. Next questions will be "whats wrong then". Also PC works fine, no problems and is my only PC. Just trying to make sense is all.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I dont like things that I cant make sense of.
funny, I seem to see them every few weeks here :)

Yeah, can't return Corsair ram without proof of purchase.

I guess we may never know why 2 sticks with same labels aren't the same. Vast majority of Corsair ram is what it says it is, you just got one of the few that isn't... I guess. Might have been a random batch.

2400 is the max xmp speed for the ram.
Task manager says the ram is running at 2400.
What are you trying to fix?
Did you even bother to look at the BIOS screenshot? I don't think you did. Three DIMMs are running at 2400mhz, one DIMM is running at 2133mhz, and that is simply not possible. You could write that off as an anomaly if that was all, but when you go to the CPU-Z screens it shows the same. This is not possible. The memory controller cannot run two different speeds at the same time.

I guess we may never know why 2 sticks with same labels aren't the same.
So, I've linked to this answer twice, but for the sake of simplicity I'll repost it here so that nobody has to be bothered to go visit another link if they come across this later, or for those who might not have had the energy to click on a link that takes them to the answer to that part of the question.

THIS is WHY there are 2 sticks (Or more) with same label but aren't the same composition.

It's true that a lot of the time you CAN mix and match RAM and so long as you keep the module selection limited to models with fairly similar or nearly exact specs, they will play nice together. Even, sometimes, completely disparate modules will do so with one module having it's primary settings adjusted by the system to match the other, lower clocked module. This is NOT always the case however AND instances of memory that are not identical or in fact even MATCHED and TESTED to work together, not working together, have been on the rise since the introduction of DDR4. At least from what I have seen through my own experience using them on builds and from what I've seen here in addition to what I've read at a number of different places including reviews and other forums.

The biggest problem, I think, is that companies like G.Skill, Corsair, Kingston, etc., do not actually make the memory chips used on their modules and they tend to source those ICs from a variety of different places, even on some of their highest end offerings. Buying another memory module later on that is the EXACT SAME part number is NO guarantee that you will be getting either an identical module or even one that is close to the same. For example, in the image below you can see that although the two lower pictured items have the same exact part number, having likely been part of different production runs that completely changed up the configuration of the modules, they do not use the same size IC, the same brand of IC, the IC are ranked differently and one module is single sided while the other has ICs on both sides.

fZ2FZYX.png

None of these things SPECIFICALLY means that these modules won't work together, however, these are THE EXACT SAME part number, so you can imagine what kinds of differences there might be between two modules that are entirely different part numbers even though they might be the same series and manufacturer. What it does mean, while there is no absolute condition saying these can't play nice together, is that for every factor that is different there is an increased possibility that for whatever reason (wildly different sub-settings, voltage requirements, or just plain oneriness) they may require advanced tuning or in the end may simply refuse to work together regardless of configuration settings. It happens. Nothing anybody else says can change the fact that sometimes modules simply WILL NOT play nice together and the further you stray from "completely identical" the higher the probability is in most cases that this will be so. Again, that does not mean that in some cases you won't be able to use two wildly different modules together. That happens too.

But there are significant headaches involved in trying to get two modules to run, either together OR in dual channel operation, when they don't want to. Sometimes the resulting headache includes having to go through the hassle of tuning only to find out that it ain't happening and you now have to go through the additional hassle of trying to return the memory which involves generating a return, getting it approved, waiting while it's shipped and received so you can get a credit and then try another part number. And after all that, when you get a different module, you are still at the mercy of a potential crapshoot because the next module or part number might not have any more success than the first one did. Of course, you might get lucky on the very first attempt as well or there may simply be no issue at all and the modules or motherboard you have may be very forgiving of differences between modules.

It is ALWAYS better to have matched modules because from brand to brand, or even within the same brand, in fact, even when the part numbers are IDENTICAL, there can be anything from simply slightly different memory chips that were sourced from different bins at the end or beginning of a production run to entirely different configurations altogether even though the model numbers seem to be the same. Some manufacturers even reuse model numbers when they discontinue a product. Point being, memory is only the same for sure when all sticks came out of the same blister pack or packaging and were sold as a tested kit because sometimes manufacturers will allow memory with entirely different compositions to be labeled as a part number that was built differently so long as it is a similarly (We'd hope anyhow) high quality DIMM with the same speed and primary timings as another kit with the same model but different composition. And by composition we are talking ranks, rows, ICs and other build level components.

Last edited:
Did you even bother to look at the BIOS screenshot? I don't think you did. Three DIMMs are running at 2400mhz, one DIMM is running at 2133mhz, and that is simply not possible. You could write that off as an anomaly if that was all, but when you go to the CPU-Z screens it shows the same. This is not possible. The memory controller cannot run two different speeds at the same time.
The bios shows 32MB of ram running at 2400.
Cpuz does not show what speed the ram is running.
Task manager shows 2400 speed.

No, it doesn't. And neither does CPU-Z. And even IF it DID, it would STILL be a problem because a DIMM that is being reported by the BIOS and by CPU-Z as 2133mhz could not, by default, run at 2400mhz without being manually overclocked. Aside from profile speeds, motherboards don't automatically make one DIMM run faster to match all others. Also, note how one DIMM, if you look at the screenshots linked in the OP, shows as being Micron ICs while the others all show SK Hynix. That shouldn't be possible for DIMMs that were purchased together in the same blister pack and is an underlying reason, probably, of why there are problems, although it doesn't specifically explain why one DIMM is running at 2133mhz, which it can't, and the others are at 2400mhz.

Again, I don't think you are actually looking at the same thread, or something.

BIOS-Menu-Info.jpg

RAM-Slot-2.png

RAM-Slot-1.png