Question Why one of the RAM reports speed differently, even if they are all the same, look the same and puchased in pairs?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Altair44

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2014
So I have purchased 2 sets of RAMs long ago. I didnt notice this before. Just replaced the older motherboard with a ASUS TUF B560 Gaming Plus WIFI one. When I booted up I see one of the RAMs is showing speeds differently (all the RAMs are rated at 2400 by corsair. They all look same.). XMP is enabled. Task manager reports Speed as 2400 MHz. Why one RAM is reporting like this? Images below for your reference.

BIOS Image

CPU-Z Slot 1 Info

CPU-Z Slot 2 Info (What happened here??!!)

CPU-Z Slot 3 Info

CPU-Z Slot 4 Info

(Providing Links only, as I could not insert images with link for some reason. It just says "Something went wrong....")

Anyways, I just want to know why it is like this? Am I loosing performance in any way due to this? If yes, how to fix this?

Last edited:
You are right Colif, however, if replacing the whole works with a new single kit isn't possible, it's still probably worth doing an RMA on just the one bad stick, or if it came in a kit with two DIMMs then both DIMMs as a kit, because the fact that it's running but not running or reporting at the correct speed says something is wrong with the DIMM rather than it just not wanting to play nice with the other DIMMs that were purchased separately as is usually the case. So just getting that one stick warrantied or two sticks if it was part of a kit, might correct the problem.

BUT, clearly the better option is to simply purchase one kit that has all matched and tested modules in it.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
You are right Colif, however, if replacing the whole works with a new single kit isn't possible, it's still probably worth doing an RMA on just the one bad stick, or if it came in a kit with two DIMMs then both DIMMs as a kit, because the fact that it's running but not running or reporting at the correct speed says something is wrong with the DIMM rather than it just not wanting to play nice with the other DIMMs that were purchased separately as is usually the case.
Don't think the stick is bad, just differently build. And he bought them as single sticks as explained below.

No, i'm sure they sold him single sticks as a set if he didn't buy them knowingly as single sticks. The Micron that is odd between these four is also the only one that is dualrank besides the different speeds and timing options.

You are right. While purchasing, I selected quantity 2 i.e. 2 single sticks in different packs. There were no single pack available with 2 sticks in them (Out of Stock). I just assumed they would be the same, since I had done it before and it was fine.

SK Hynix sticks (2x8GiG) are the one I purchased first, while assembling the PC. Then after some months, I purchased the Micron RAMs, as there were at a pretty good discount.

Just to say, don't think btw that Bob was of the mark, think he was reasonable in his statements.

He trying to work out why 2 ram sticks that should be exactly the same are showing different timings in every speed apart from XMP 2400.
saw this again and thing is, we have only pictures of the SPD Tab which only gives possibilities an d info about the ram, the Memory Tab will show what speed the ram is running at. See pics of my ram,

JMAgNNG.png

spd gives info, memory tab gives actual speed. The spd tab also shows that my ram has a max bandwidth of 2133mhz when it really does 3200mhz.

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
And i really would like to see those two tabs next to each other with just that "odd" stick in and XMP enabled to resolve this, if you start a thread go the whole way to resolve it since it takes little effort in the grand sceme of things. Could even add a picture regarding ram from the Advanced mode in the uefi/bios.

Think that "DRAM Status" in the Asus uefi/bios is something like the SPD tab in CPU-Z, but can show about 5 pics where it doesn't make sense at all if you compare them.

Makes sense,

https://preview.redd.it/eycclt1y8f1...bp&s=ffa856deb375bc79aa695f8d9d4743bb1d0979c2

Higher speed under the "Info" when DOCP is disabled,

https://content.hwigroup.net/images/products_600/441719/13/asus-tuf-x470-plus-gaming.jpg

Speed in "Info" the same as under "Dram Status" when DOCP is enabled and DOCP gives 3200mhz, could maybe be overclock didn't take .....

https://www.geeks3d.com/public/jegx...-11600k-asus-tuf-z590-plus-new-bios-img01.jpg

Speed in "Info" lower than "Dram Status", but makes sense since XMP is disabled, also fits cpu likely better.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?77926-How-to-enable-XMP&langid=4

Seems okay, just the begin speed of the ram at 2666mhz seems high to start with, but then again if the sticks are programmed for that ....

https://hardforum.b-cdn.net/data/attachment-files/2020/05/345966_ASUS5.jpg

Asus should have something that is about the same every time, not this difference per bios/uefi. Would just trust what is said under the "Info" tab in the uefi for speed and since windows task manager also gives that speed would i take it for the stick to run at that speed if no further info is given.

Last edited: