[SOLVED] Why over 60 Hz on 4K desirable

test_123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2012
I've seen some high end 4K displays with higher than 60hz refresh rate. Why is this so desirable? Most rigs will barely hit 60 fps on modern games at 4k. If you need a high fps for competitive gaming, why not simply get a 1080p panel with fast response time and refresh rate?

Solution
To answer OP, this is why:

https://www.testufo.com/

Which one looks smoothest to you? That page can only show you what your current refresh rate looks like, or slower. If you are viewing it on a 60Hz signal, then it will show 60FPS, 30FPS and 15FPS. One would assume that >60 will be even better - to a point. That's debatable, but I believe for most people 144FPS is obviously better than 60. And you receive more visual information at higher refresh rates. You are literally missing reality at lower refresh rates. Take the above ufo animation example at 60Hz and 1920x1080 (what I'm currently viewing at). The top ufo, which represents 60FPS animation, is "jumping" across the screen 16 pixels at a time and traverses the...

test_123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2012
Because people usually buy monitors that will last through multiple computer builds. A monitor should last you like a TV, get a very good one and it should last 10 years or so. With that thinking 4K at 144hz will be reality in another 6-18 months.
I see your point. But, I would respectfully argue that the reality does not pan out that way. Take the GTX 2080. It was the 1st gpu that could handle 4K at a reasonably stable 60fps across available games. It didn't take long before a few games came out which prevented it from hitting 60fps stable. My point newer games will prevent you from hitting 100+ FPS. That being said, FF 15 will probably do 90 FPS on next gen gtx 3080 Ampre.

VIVO-US

Honorable
Feb 1, 2017
It's because a high refresh rate monitor will display the 60Hz output more smoothly than the 60Hz monitor, since the monitor can process the frames more immediately. Even if the game is only working at 60Hz, there will be less noticeable blurring of the image.

I see your point. But, I would respectfully argue that the reality does not pan out that way. Take the GTX 2080. It was the 1st gpu that could handle 4K at a reasonably stable 60fps across available games. It didn't take long before a few games came out which prevented it from hitting 60fps stable. My point newer games will prevent you from hitting 100+ FPS. That being said, FF 15 will probably do 90 FPS on next gen gtx 3080 Ampre.
I’m sure people said the same about 1080p and 2k. Guessing is all anyone can do. 3080 is 6 months. Also have AMD and intel coming. They are about to start putting multiple GPUs on one card, like AMD is doing on their CPUs. What if the person plays CSGO, LoL? Those will still hit high FPS. Maybe it’s not right for you, it’s not for me. I use a 1440p 144hz. That doesn’t mean it’s not right for someone.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I guess higher refresh rate might be correlated with lower response time, so high refresh rate monitors might have a little less blur/ghosting on average.

In theory a higher refresh rate would have result in slightly lower average input lag, even at the same FPS (although there are many other factors to input lag).

But in general I wouldn't really expect 60 fps to look better on a 144 Hz monitor than a 60 Hz monitor.

Reactions: mortemas
I guess higher refresh rate might be correlated with lower response time, so high refresh rate monitors might have a little less blur/ghosting on average.

In theory a higher refresh rate would have result in slightly lower average input lag, even at the same FPS (although there are many other factors to input lag).

But in general I wouldn't really expect 60 fps to look better on a 144 Hz monitor than a 60 Hz monitor.

Pretty much this; you get half the input lag relative to a 60Hz display, since the time between refreshes is halved.

Likewise, I would not expect the image to be affected if all else is equal.

VIVO-US

Honorable
Feb 1, 2017
Uhhhh...60fps looks just like 60fps on 144+hz monitor.

Yes, it will still look like and be 60FPS on the high refresh monitor. The difference is that a 60Hz monitor processes the frames more slowly than a 120Hz or 144Hz monitor, so there's the potential of blur, ghosting, or other very slight artifacts that may not appear on the faster monitor (this comes from first hand experience). Now if the 60Hz monitor has low input lag and VSync, it may have a perfect or close to perfect image with a 60FPS game, but with monitors that can only be compared Hz to Hz, the one with the higher refresh rate could end up with the best appearance overall.

To answer OP, this is why:

https://www.testufo.com/

Which one looks smoothest to you? That page can only show you what your current refresh rate looks like, or slower. If you are viewing it on a 60Hz signal, then it will show 60FPS, 30FPS and 15FPS. One would assume that >60 will be even better - to a point. That's debatable, but I believe for most people 144FPS is obviously better than 60. And you receive more visual information at higher refresh rates. You are literally missing reality at lower refresh rates. Take the above ufo animation example at 60Hz and 1920x1080 (what I'm currently viewing at). The top ufo, which represents 60FPS animation, is "jumping" across the screen 16 pixels at a time and traverses the screen in 2 seconds (960 pixels per second). Double the FPS to 120 and it will be jumping 8 pixels at a time to reach the other side in the same 2 seconds. There's more information there. Not only will it appear smoother in motion, but it is a better approximation of the actual location of an object as defined by the game engine. At 60FPS new frames are displayed every 16.7 ms - if they are ready. The game engine might be slightly late at calculating the next frame and just miss the current refresh of the monitor, so it will be rendered 16.7 ms later on the next frame. By that time the object is out of place. In the above example it will be out of place by 16 pixels. The result is that in an FPS shooter the enemy's bullet or grenade is closer to you than you think!

Solution