Why Read Only folder on Server 2003?

ferg

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2002

G'Day All,
Whenever I create a new folder on Win2003 server the folder is Read Only and
I cannot seem to change it permanently.
Help.

How to do.

Thanks

Hi,

You Cannot View or Change the Read-Only or System Attribute of Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326549&Product=winsvr2003

Unlike the Read-only attribute for a file, the Read-only attribute for a
folder is typically ignored by Windows, Windows components and accessories,
and other programs. For example, you can delete, rename, and change a folder
with the Read-only attribute by using Windows Explorer. The Read-only and
System attributes is only used by Windows Explorer to determine whether the
folder is a special folder, such as a system folder that has its view
customized by Windows (for example, My Documents, Favorites, Fonts,
Downloaded Program Files), or a folder that you customized by using the
Customize tab of the folder's Properties dialog box. As a result, Windows
Explorer does not allow you to view or change the Read-only or System
attributes of folders.

I hope this helps,

Mike

"ferg" <ferguson@eastsidemiami.com> wrote in message
> G'Day All,
> Whenever I create a new folder on Win2003 server the folder is Read Only
and
> I cannot seem to change it permanently.
> Help.
>
> How to do.
>
> Thanks

ferg

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2002

thanks

"Miha Pihler" <miha-news@atlantis.si> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> You Cannot View or Change the Read-Only or System Attribute of Folders

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326549&Product=winsvr2003

> Unlike the Read-only attribute for a file, the Read-only attribute for a
> folder is typically ignored by Windows, Windows components and
accessories,
> and other programs. For example, you can delete, rename, and change a
folder
> with the Read-only attribute by using Windows Explorer. The Read-only and
> System attributes is only used by Windows Explorer to determine whether
the
> folder is a special folder, such as a system folder that has its view
> customized by Windows (for example, My Documents, Favorites, Fonts,
> Downloaded Program Files), or a folder that you customized by using the
> Customize tab of the folder's Properties dialog box. As a result, Windows
> Explorer does not allow you to view or change the Read-only or System
> attributes of folders.
>
> I hope this helps,
>
> Mike
>
> "ferg" <ferguson@eastsidemiami.com> wrote in message
> > G'Day All,
> > Whenever I create a new folder on Win2003 server the folder is Read Only
> and
> > I cannot seem to change it permanently.
> > Help.
> >
> > How to do.
> >
> > Thanks

You are welcome :)

> thanks
>

> "Miha Pihler" <miha-news@atlantis.si> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > You Cannot View or Change the Read-Only or System Attribute of Folders

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326549&Product=winsvr2003

> > Unlike the Read-only attribute for a file, the Read-only attribute for a
> > folder is typically ignored by Windows, Windows components and
> accessories,
> > and other programs. For example, you can delete, rename, and change a
> folder
> > with the Read-only attribute by using Windows Explorer. The Read-only
and
> > System attributes is only used by Windows Explorer to determine whether
> the
> > folder is a special folder, such as a system folder that has its view
> > customized by Windows (for example, My Documents, Favorites, Fonts,
> > Downloaded Program Files), or a folder that you customized by using the
> > Customize tab of the folder's Properties dialog box. As a result,
Windows
> > Explorer does not allow you to view or change the Read-only or System
> > attributes of folders.
> >
> > I hope this helps,
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > "ferg" <ferguson@eastsidemiami.com> wrote in message
> > > G'Day All,
> > > Whenever I create a new folder on Win2003 server the folder is Read
Only
> > and
> > > I cannot seem to change it permanently.
> > > Help.