Question Why Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB SSD is still not available yet?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hi, I checked with Samsung a few times but they told me that they have no idea when it will be available for purchase. Online stores also have no idea. Anybody knows when it will be available for purchase? Why there is a long delay? I cannot complete my build without it.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Have been waiting since January. Checked with Samsung and other online stores. Nobody has an idea when it will be available. Now my projects are on hold because of such wait. Is it worth the wait?

oldcracc

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
Have been waiting since January. Checked with Samsung and other online stores. Nobody has an idea when it will be available. Now my projects are on hold because of such wait. Is it worth the wait?
I mean not really, you can get any other 2 TB M.2 SSD that works quite well, if your holding off a gaming rig or something because your waiting for the SSD to become available, I wouldn't and instead buy a different one from a reputable brand such as WD, Corsair, or Intel. Unless you need hyper-fast mass-storage for work or something that will allow you to be much more efficient, it would be worth the wait but for average consumers I would just buy a different 2 TB M.2.

I have no answer as to when the 2tb 970 EVO plus will be on sale.
Is there a particular reason why you need that particular item?
I presume it is because of the slightly better performance specs.
You could likely buy two 1tb 970 evo plus units for less.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
I have no answer as to when the 2tb 970 EVO plus will be on sale.
Is there a particular reason why you need that particular item?
I presume it is because of the slightly better performance specs.
You could likely buy two 1tb 970 evo plus units for less.

When Samsung announced the 970 EVO Plus in January, they said that 2TB version would be available in April so I returned two unopened 970 EVO 2TB (when they were on big sale). However, this is the end of April already. Even Samsung has no idea when it will be available.

On my Gigabyte Xtreme Z390 motherboard, there are 3 NMVe slots but if I use all three slots or something like if I use sevearl SATA ports, performance would drop. I need at least two NVMe slots (one for Windows 10 and one for Linux). I am considering to use the 3rd NVMe slot for Hackintosh but I may install it on a SATA III SSD as the Mac OS is not my main work OS anymore. I am going to do some data science and image processing stuffs so better performance storage may be better.

I have not activated Windows 10 yet because of the hold. When the 2TB SSD arrive, I will take the current 970 EVO 1TB out from the desktop and put it in my laptop.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
When Samsung announced the 970 EVO Plus in January, it stated that the 2TB version would be available in April but today is the end of April, there is no news yet. Also no announcement that it is being delayed. Is it worth to continue to wait? If I order the 970 Evo 2TB now but few days later it releases the Plus version, I will have to return and buy. However, there is no guarantee on when it will be available. Is there any other 2TB drive that performs similarly or better than that?