Question Why some files do not get copied by drag and drop?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hello, I dragged and dropped my user folder to an external backup drive. However, the copying got interrupted many times as Windows reported that it could not copy some files. I had to click Skip and apply this to other files of the same situation several times. How come drag and drop does not work for some files? As I recall those files were .exe, some icloud related files, etc.

What would be the best way to copy my user folder? Ideally with the actual file creation date preserved.

Colif

Win 11 Master
tried copy/paste?

could be you were using the files literally by being logged onto that user while copying it?

try this

1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose command prompt
  7. type notepad and press enter
  8. in notepad, select file>open
  9. Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd
that should work as you not logged in at time.

why are you copying user folder? what do you intend to achieve?

Last edited:

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
So copy/paste is different from drag and drop? Although some sites mentioned about using copy/paste, in my mind it is more for copying and pasting text in a text editor.

Under "How to create backup of device before upgrade of Windows 11", they suggested using System Image Backup. Then, "Create file backup (optional)", I am not sure what they mean by %HOMEPATH% but from the screenshot, they seem to copy the entire user folder.

How to prepare your PC for the Windows 11 upgrade | Windows Central

Ralston18

Titan
Any error messages, pop-ups, or explanatory windows regarding a file(s) that could not be copied?

Could be user rights related.

You may not have the rights to copy the files.

Take a look at "inherited permissions" regarding the drive, folders, subfolders, and even the files in question.

Reactions: modeonoff

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Thank you.

As far as I recall, copying was paused due to error messages.

I right clicked my user folder and checked the Properties. Under Advanced Security Settings, I have:

Name: C:\Users\modeonoff
Owner: SYSTEM
Permission entities: All "Allow" under Type, all "Full control" under Access, All "None" under 'Inherited from'. All "This folder, subfolders and files" under 'Applies to'.

Am I supposed to check "Replace all child object permission entities with inheritance permissions entries from this object" and then click "Enable inheritance"?

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, this is a permissions issue.

But changing the permissions on the folders and contents en masse will end up very badly.

Copy the files in each Library.
Do NOT randomly change the folder permissions in /Users/, or even try to copy the whole library.
Tears will result.

And why aren't you simply doing a full drive backup?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Don't change permissions on User folders.
You don't own the contents - not all of them anyway, there are hidden files in there that the System and other users might own. You are the only human user but windows has a few it uses to run your PC. Without them having access to files, nothing works.

I think the link he showed how to do a full backup, I thought he was as well.

will backups in 10 work in 11? i assumed it would roll him back to 10 if he used it.

USAFRet

Titan
Don't change permissions on User folders.
You don't own the contents - not all of them anyway, there are hidden files in there that the System and other users might own. You are the only human user but windows has a few it uses to run your PC. Without them having access to files, nothing works.

I think the link he showed how to do a full backup, I thought he was as well.

will backups in 10 work in 11? i assumed it would roll him back to 10 if he used it.
Yeah, that backup thing is to think about prepping for an OS change.

I do not know if a "backup" from Win 10 will work in a new Win 11.
Nor would I try it.

There are much better, safer, ways to do "something".
Once we know what that something is.

And changing permissions on the entirety of /Users/ Is the absolute wrong thing to do.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
OK. I will not change the permission then.

I have a dual boot PC. As I recall, when I installed Linux and OS on separate SSDs, there were some mess up. I had to take out the one where I installed Linux, installed Windows and then put back the SSD where Linux was installed. For Windows 11 upgrade, is it advisable to do the same thing?

USAFRet

Titan
OK. I will not change the permission then.

I have a dual boot PC. As I recall, when I installed Linux and OS on separate SSDs, there were some mess up. I had to take out the one where I installed Linux, installed Windows and then put back the SSD where Linux was installed. For Windows 11 upgrade, is it advisable to do the same thing?
Each OS runs on its own drive, with only that one drive connected?

If so, then yes...do this Upgrade with only the WIn 10 drive connected.