Why Steam Seems Very Bad, But Your Thoughts?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OneHumongousLoser

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
Ok, i bought Fear 2, which can only be used through Steam, which is not mentioned until you get the box in the mail (thats crappy in itself).

Then, of course, you can 'buy' games from steam that must be used with them and then, if I understand correctly, only on your account.

So, this is very bad, because:

1) you dont own the game, and therefore there is no resale value (I buy games, play them a year, then sell them on ebay, but no more), as opposed to the normal buying the games with CD and key code.

but more importantly:

2) the games are locked to steam. So what happens if steam goes out of business? hey, happens everyday, look at the 1hundred+ year old companies that folded the last year. If I am forced to buy and use games through them, then I could like spend a bunch of money and lose it all when they go bust. Again, dont think they cant, cause it happens all the time.

So, this is very bad.

Steam is simply a company trying to make a buck, as are the companies that develop/provide the games, and there is nothing bad about that, but:

I really hate buying something I cant resale, and there does not seem to be any consumer protection against them going out of business and then customers losing all their stuff.

I would like to state that yes, I am against piracy, and buy all my games either new or used off ebay (never pirated and wont in my life), and there should be another way other than Steam.

Just curious what others think about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.