[SOLVED] Why the sudden skyrocket in price of the GTX 1660 series?

maverick3n1

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2012
I was looking at Passmark specs for different cards, and came across the GTX 1660 Super. It was listed at $239.99 according to Passmark's website on Newegg as of 12/9/2020. Now, Newegg has it listed at $429.99. That's a pretty massive jump for a card that's been around for over a year. Any clue why it suddenly jumped in price?

Solution
Two reasons.

1. Demand, with so many stuck at home gaming PC parts, are in high demand.
  2. Production, They based production in lots of 6-12 months which can't match the demand when they are retooling lines to release new upgraded cards. In other words, they are phasing the 1650's and 1660's out of production and they have very few lines running them which are also affected by COVID.
This is nothing compared to when I built my first Ryzen system, SSD, RAM, and GPU's all were between 2X to 4X more expensive because of chip shortages.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Two reasons.

1. Demand, with so many stuck at home gaming PC parts, are in high demand.
  2. Production, They based production in lots of 6-12 months which can't match the demand when they are retooling lines to release new upgraded cards. In other words, they are phasing the 1650's and 1660's out of production and they have very few lines running them which are also affected by COVID.
This is nothing compared to when I built my first Ryzen system, SSD, RAM, and GPU's all were between 2X to 4X more expensive because of chip shortages.

Solution