[SOLVED] Why they remove the Hold-up Cap(s)?

Dec 4, 2020
In psu reviews i have noticed they tend to remove the Hold-up Cap(s), for example, the xpg core reactor 750w has one Nippon Chemi-Con (420V, 560uF, 2000h a 105 ° C, KMR), but in the images it does not appear, i would like to know what is the reason for removing them.

Solution
Removing the capacitor from the image or from the PSU?

References: links, images?

For the most part, many people do not know or understand such matters for any number of reasons. (Not casting fault nor blame.)

My thought is that because new photographs cost money to produce, publish etc. the manufacturers simply do not bother to update the images.

And marketing materials often contain errors - big and small. May or may not be intentionally misleading which is another path entirely.

PSU is probably much the same no matter what components have been added, removed or changed.

That said, if the capacity is no longer present then there was likely some design change.

Ralston18

Titan
Removing the capacitor from the image or from the PSU?

References: links, images?

For the most part, many people do not know or understand such matters for any number of reasons. (Not casting fault nor blame.)

My thought is that because new photographs cost money to produce, publish etc. the manufacturers simply do not bother to update the images.

And marketing materials often contain errors - big and small. May or may not be intentionally misleading which is another path entirely.

PSU is probably much the same no matter what components have been added, removed or changed.

That said, if the capacity is no longer present then there was likely some design change.

Solution
The bulk cap is removed because it makes it a lot easier to identify components without completely tearing down the PSU (e.g. removing the heatsinks with FETs and diodes mounted, etc.)

Other than the main transformer, the bulk cap is the biggest part in the PSU. If you can remove it, component analysis is much easier.

Reactions: BeowulfBF1