[SOLVED] Why this LED glows only sometimes on my Mobo?

Jun 18, 2021
This LED(highlighted in Red) glows only sometimes on my mobo, not always. What could be the possible reason?

Image: https://lensdump.com/i/ZQ8mS5

My system is :
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD
  • Asus ROG Strix X570 E-Gaming mobo
  • Deep Cool 850W SMPS
  • Zotac RTX 3090
  • GSkill RipJaws 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 Memory (1x32 GB)
  • Antec NX200 cabinet

Ralston18

Titan
Does the following link provide the User Manual applicable to your motherboard?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/.../E15826_ROG_STRIX_X570-E_GAMING_UM_v2_WEB.pdf

[Verify that I found the correct User Manual.]

A red LED indicates a CPU problem/issue per Page 1-8 of the User manual.

However, your image appears to be a white light and I am not certain about which LED is actually lit.

In any case going on and off would be indicative of a loose connection or some other varying factor.

Does anything stop working when the LED is lit? Any errors or pop-up windows? Problems.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

This LED(highlighted in Red) glows only sometimes on my mobo, not always. What could be the possible reason?

Image: https://lensdump.com/i/ZQ8mS5

My system is :
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD
  • Asus ROG Strix X570 E-Gaming mobo
  • Deep Cool 850W SMPS
  • Zotac RTX 3090
  • GSkill RipJaws 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 Memory (1x32 GB)
  • Antec NX200 cabinet
That's the area for the debug LED's. On my TUF B550m board a white debug LED indicates an issue with VGA...but usually it only lights when it fails POST. I've no idea what it means when it flashes during use, especially since there's no issue with display (at least you didn't indicate there was). I do seem to recall someone else with a similar issue (or possibly non-issue) and another Nvidia GPU.

Jun 18, 2021
Does the following link provide the User Manual applicable to your motherboard?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/.../E15826_ROG_STRIX_X570-E_GAMING_UM_v2_WEB.pdf

[Verify that I found the correct User Manual.]

A red LED indicates a CPU problem/issue per Page 1-8 of the User manual.

However, your image appears to be a white light and I am not certain about which LED is actually lit.

In any case going on and off would be indicative of a loose connection or some other varying factor.

Does anything stop working when the LED is lit? Any errors or pop-up windows? Problems.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?
Yes, it's the right manual.

Yes, the LED is white actually.

No, nothing stops working, everything works correctly, which gave me an impression it's not that important, however, now, I'm feeling something is wrong.

Jun 18, 2021
H
That's the area for the debug LED's. On my TUF B550m board a white debug LED indicates an issue with VGA...but usually it only lights when it fails POST. I've no idea what it means when it flashes during use, especially since there's no issue with display (at least you didn't indicate there was). I do seem to recall someone else with a similar issue (or possibly non-issue) and another Nvidia GPU.
Hi, thanks for taking your time trying to help.
Actually, everything works fine, the LED stops glowing after some time, as opposed to the blinking impression that you may be getting.

Literally, everything is working, does it mean it's safe to assume POST is not failing at least?

Literally, everything is working, does it mean it's safe to assume POST is not failing at least?
POST is Power On Self Test...it only executes during the boot process. It initializes CPU, memory, VGA then finds the boot loader to startup the OS, usually in that order. It will stop with a steady led lit at the one that fails the test. If it passes all the way through...as it must be since your working just fine in the OS when you notice it light...it's clearly passing POST.

So....what does it mean when it lights while in use? One possibility is either a motherboard BIOS bug or GPU bug that sets a flag erroneously and the light goes on. I'd just use it until something real happens.

Reactions: 13rws

Ralston18

Titan
I will add the suggestion that you ensure that all files and important data are backed up. At least 2x copies stored on other host devices.

Ensure that the backups are recoverable and readable.

Hopefully, all is well and okay.

There may be reasons for the LED glowing/not glowing in some intermittent manner.

Still in, in the meantime, take precautions.

TRENDING THREADS