Why use Virtual Machines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougx1317

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
I know this probably isn't the right section for this, but I didn't know where it should go.

I've heard people saying that they use virtual machines. I understand that it is running multiple OS's at the same time. What I don't understand is what the benefit of doing this would be. Why would anyone want to do this? Is it for programing? Also, do you need extra software to do this?

Solution
Yes you need some extra software.
You also need to be certain that your computer has no difficulty with standby and hibernate issues.
Once you get the virtual world setup its easier to leave the computer on instead of waiting for the reloads.

The main advantages to virtual is the ability to customize each op system to your needs.
For example with gaming you can turn off everything that you dont want running and the game doesnt need creating a very slim and fast system.
You can turn off things that you ordinarily would leave on in your everyday system.

Another benifit is that even if you do something completely stupid and muck it up it only brings down your extra virtual machine and doesnt hose your whole system.
Its great to...

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Yes you need some extra software.
You also need to be certain that your computer has no difficulty with standby and hibernate issues.
Once you get the virtual world setup its easier to leave the computer on instead of waiting for the reloads.

The main advantages to virtual is the ability to customize each op system to your needs.
For example with gaming you can turn off everything that you dont want running and the game doesnt need creating a very slim and fast system.
You can turn off things that you ordinarily would leave on in your everyday system.

Another benifit is that even if you do something completely stupid and muck it up it only brings down your extra virtual machine and doesnt hose your whole system.
Its great to expieriment on and has the added benifit of if you get a virus it doesnt get back to the main system.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS