Why Valve Nuked Portal 2's VS. Multiplayer Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]trialsking[/nom]Greifing with the Portal gun would have been fun.......[/citation]

You can probably still greif in the Co-Op. Just because its not VS mode doesn't mean that your portal gun can't shoot portals under the person just to screw with them.

braneman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
but if they gave us vs. multiplayer they would spend more time balancing it than the rest of the game Team portal two isn't something I'd like to wait ten years for.

Acert93

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
The problem was trying to make it a sporting event. Straight up DM would work. "Tag" and Team objective gameplay would also work wonderfully. I think this is an example of Valve thinking too hard. Maybe a portal sucked them out of the box?

shotgunpadre

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
if they limit player number to 4,8 maybe the chaos will cease considerably? 16 ppl throwing portals at each other really doesn't sound good but it wouldn't hurt to add a simple vs mode like that.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Damn. I can understand building games for being a game with more longevity... still would have been awesome cool for a short while.

Maybe they could find a way to revisit the game in both Cooperative and "Deathmatch" style? I for one really enjoyed bizzare fun games like Rocket Crowbar for Halflife 1. Some of those maps and games were pretty close to a "Hot Mess"

Maybe add in puzzle traps into the maps to make it more fun and more interesting?

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Acert93[/nom]The problem was trying to make it a sporting event. Straight up DM would work. "Tag" and Team objective gameplay would also work wonderfully. I think this is an example of Valve thinking too hard. Maybe a portal sucked them out of the box?[/citation]
Exactly, Capture the Flag, King of the Hill, these were Mods. The original games (Quake, UT, etc..) were straight up deathmatch. True, deathmatch isn't exactly in the Portal storyline, but that doesn't mean people wouldn't want to play it for a little while. I guess the biggest problem would be how you keep all the portals straight with so many people running around shooting them.

Give the portal beam a little force, and you could knock people off their oh-so-carefully prepared trajectories, etc.. etc... You don't need guns to make it fun.

retrac1324

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
What about a race mode? Two players have isolated, identical courses they must try to get to the end. But instead of normal portal style maps, it's more of a linear arena with less depth

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Who cares? The focus should be on single/co-op anyway. Makes for a better game overall, and there are a bazillion multiplayer games for us to partake in anyway.

Tmanishere

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
I don't know why they couldn't find a way to limit the number of portal you can shoot. Say you got X amount of charge on your portal gun and you would have to get an item to recharge it accordingly. I think it could work...

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Competative multiplayer didn't have to consist of dropping portals under other people but racing to complete a puzzle before the other guy. The maps could be identical and separated by glass so they can see each other. Complete the puzzles before the other guy and win the round.

adikos

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
the SNES version of lemmings had a multiplayer component. amazingly, it too always devolved into sheer chaos. most maps put your lemming entrance near your opponents exit... so you see the dilemma. it even featured one called 'rope bridge', yeah my brother didnt just wreck that bridge.

i can see how a portal multiplayer could just turn into griefing of a new level. thankfully they acknowledged that, but perhaps they could also come up with something else that is competitive-ish. look at all the modes they come up with for TF2. valve can do it :)

fjjb

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
i guess that when they were testing the game they almost stab somebody in anger when the energy ball was almost there and then somebody made a hole in the ground.....

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
I can see a competitive mode where one player has the start of the portal and a team mate and complete the portal in a 2-on-2 match. That would require coordination and reliance on your team mate.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
There's a co-op mod mod for Half Life 2, and it's pretty fun. Co0op in portal sounds pretty sick.
While I am disappointed they won't be a vs. multiplayer, at least they're trying to cut the fat. Good content only. :)
[citation][nom]invlem[/nom]Pure chaos is a bad thing?[/citation]
Not always. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.