Why we can't have speed in terms of GBPS , in Peer to peer connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushi3311

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Respected All,
I am having one doubt that why we can't have speed in terms of GBPS ???

I am having,
■LAN wire of CAT 5E
■CORE -i7 processor
■1 TB HDD
■4 GB RAM....!
■10/100 GBPS LAN card

So what is the reason ,due to which i am not able to get speed exactly what the system is saying that i can achieve upto that 10/100GBPS ...!
I am only getting speed in LAN is of 20-30MBPS

Can anyone tell me the limiting FACTOR ?? ELSE THAN MEDIUM of connection...!

Anticipating your help to clear my doubt...!

Thanks....!

Solution
Well, your LAN card if 10/100 is mbps -- a gigabit card would be listed as 10/100/1000; both peers would need gigabit Ethernet connectors to reach that speed.

Also note that you are probably getting 20-30 MBps (megabytes) not 20-30mbps (megabits), at least if you are reading that from a Windows file transfer rate.

Even on gigabit networks, your HDD transfer rates may limit you unless a fast RAID array, fast HDD on sequential write/read at each end, or fast SSDs.

RealBeast

Titan
Well, your LAN card if 10/100 is mbps -- a gigabit card would be listed as 10/100/1000; both peers would need gigabit Ethernet connectors to reach that speed.

Also note that you are probably getting 20-30 MBps (megabytes) not 20-30mbps (megabits), at least if you are reading that from a Windows file transfer rate.

Even on gigabit networks, your HDD transfer rates may limit you unless a fast RAID array, fast HDD on sequential write/read at each end, or fast SSDs.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.