Why Were Linus's i9 9900k Results So Different

ttran7701

Commendable
Apr 19, 2018
I saw Hardware Unboxed video response to Linus's review of the i9 9900k. Could someone please explain further why Linus's thermal results were so much better? Apparently, Linus ran his test with a 95W limiter. Isn't this basically running the CPU at stock? If you crank up the juice to 120W, aren't you basically over-clocking? Is this limiter the same thing as Asus's Multi-core Enhancement?

Solution
From what i gathered from the video, the motherboard he was using had a hard limit on 95W for the processor, so it wasn't even reaching full turbo speed on all cores because of the power limit. So, it was stock, just a different kind of stock. No, it's not the same as multi-core enhancement, that's the motherboard overclocking a tiny bit for you.
From what i gathered from the video, the motherboard he was using had a hard limit on 95W for the processor, so it wasn't even reaching full turbo speed on all cores because of the power limit. So, it was stock, just a different kind of stock. No, it's not the same as multi-core enhancement, that's the motherboard overclocking a tiny bit for you.

Solution

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13400/intel-9th-gen-core-i9-9900k-i7-9700k-i5-9600k-review/21
top power draw for this CPU is 162 W as by anand tests.
hard limit on 95W will basicly half CPU power, and so will thermals, and clocks
with OC this cpu reached almost 200W in anand's tests, I think I've seen over 200W somewhere, If I find it I will post.
that's why mobo choice is important for testing :)

@rdslw It won't halve the cpu clocks and thermals, power draw climbs exponentially with voltage so you probably get 85-90% of the performance on all cores on 95W compared to 160W stock. If you're gonna spend $580 on a 9900k you should absolutely remove that hard lock though, otherwise it would be better to just get a cheaper cpu.

ttran7701

Commendable
Apr 19, 2018

I took at look at your link. According to it, the 9700k drew 125W while the 9900k 169W. That's a big delta considering they only real difference is MT. Those extra virtual threads cause that much extra CPU draw?

TRENDING THREADS