Question why WiFi Router are more powerful than Modem WiFi Router?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Just because wi-fi router has AC5400 in it's name doesn't mean it offers 5400 Mbps wi-fi network. AC5400 is the sum of all bands of that wi-fi router, not the speed of single band.

The wi-fi routers you linked, AC1900 has 2x bands: N600 and AC1300 while AC5400 has 3x bands: N1000, AC2166 and AC2166.

Further reading: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/what-does-ac1200-ac1900-ac3200-mean

Last edited:

Mohammednt0

Prominent
Feb 17, 2019
Just because wi-fi router has AC5400 in it's name doesn't mean it offers 5400 Mbps wi-fi network. AC5400 is the sum of all bands of that wi-fi router, not the speed of single band.

The wi-fi routers you linked, AC1900 has 2x bands: N600 and AC1300 while AC5400 has 3x bands: N1000, AC2166 and AC2166.

Further reading: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/what-does-ac1200-ac1900-ac3200-mean

thanks for your reply, but that was not the answer for my question, what i mean is why Modem WiFi Router comes with multi bands with total of AC5400 and Modem WiFi Router does not come like that, where i can find Modem WiFi Router that comes with multi-bands?

Pretty much because there is limited market for the higher end routers and not all people need/want built in modems. Most people buying high end stuff want separate modem router.

You have to be very careful to not buy into the marketing hype of bigger number is better.

For the vast majority of people they can not use these high end routers abilities so it is a waste of money. The only way you can get those speeds is if your end device also has 4 antenna which is extremely rare. The vast majority only have 2 antenna which means they can not use the speeds.

So why buy a modem/router you can not use is what a lot of people think. If a lot of people wanted the device it would be sold.

Just be sure you can actually use the higher encoding speeds before you spend extra for a product.

Mohammednt0

Prominent
Feb 17, 2019
IMHO combo modem/router devices in itself are not very good. Best to use a separate modem and router for the best connectivity options, also for the reasons you have listed.

thanks for your reply, I don't think there is a technical answer to my question. This is a marketing decision for the manufacturers. I guess that including the best possible functionality of all the separate parts in a multi-function device would make the price too high.

Mohammednt0

Prominent
Feb 17, 2019
Pretty much because there is limited market for the higher end routers and not all people need/want built in modems. Most people buying high end stuff want separate modem router.

You have to be very careful to not buy into the marketing hype of bigger number is better.

For the vast majority of people they can not use these high end routers abilities so it is a waste of money. The only way you can get those speeds is if your end device also has 4 antenna which is extremely rare. The vast majority only have 2 antenna which means they can not use the speeds.

So why buy a modem/router you can not use is what a lot of people think. If a lot of people wanted the device it would be sold.

Just be sure you can actually use the higher encoding speeds before you spend extra for a product.

multi-bands will be very useful for streaming situations, each band will handle its own streams separately.

multi-bands will be very useful for streaming situations, each band will handle its own streams separately.
That is not what I was referring to I mean 4x4 mimo. Also that router is using non standard encoding to get speeds like 1000 on 2.4. There are many other things. Most end device do not support things that are not part of the official standard. The end device not the router is the limiting factor. Many time these high end routers run exactly the same speed as lower ones because they drop back to the speeds supported by the end device.

The only advantage it has is is has 2 5g radios. If you are very careful you can balance your traffic over the 2. It is no different than buying a cheap AP to get the extra radios. This also assume you can even get the radio bandwidth in the first place all your neighbor are also competing for it so running 2 5g radios just increases you chance to have interference.

Bottom line be a educated consumer do not get conned into spending money for shinny.

I don't think there is a technical answer to my question. This is a marketing decision for the manufacturers.
No surprise there. Real world products must take into consideration what the consumer will pay, return for his investment, none of it are "technical."

In general though, all-in-one boxes try to appease to the lazy consumer, don't feel like investigating how box1 can be hooked up to box2 etc. Consumers who are performance oriented are motivated to find the best of the genre and are willing to spend more.

For the rest of us here is very simple, separate WIFI box is more desirable for the simple reason they can be moved to a more central location in the house for better coverage vs modem tend to be in a corner, not desirable radio broadcast location.

Mohammednt0

Prominent
Feb 17, 2019
No surprise there. Real world products must take into consideration what the consumer will pay, return for his investment, none of it are "technical."

In general though, all-in-one boxes try to appease to the lazy consumer, don't feel like investigating how box1 can be hooked up to box2 etc. Consumers who are performance oriented are motivated to find the best of the genre and are willing to spend more.

For the rest of us here is very simple, separate WIFI box is more desirable for the simple reason they can be moved to a more central location in the house for better coverage vs modem tend to be in a corner, not desirable radio broadcast location.

thanks for your reply, Good Point