Question Why will my MSI B450-A PRO MAX Motherboard not boot when more than one RAM stick is installed?

Aug 4, 2022
The computer I am building will not boot with more than one RAM stick. In addition to not booting with two or more sticks, the mouse and keyboard are not active. These are the components used:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660S (Super)
SSD: Spcc Solid State Disk 1TB
SSD: KINGSTON SNVS500G 500 GB (for Linux)
HDD: WD Blue 4TB (2015)
RAM: (Tried three different ones)
MBD: MSI B450-A PRO MAX (MS-7B86)
PSU: 700 watts
CASE: Mid Tower Gaming

Window 10 Pro was used for these observations.

The three different types of memory I tried are:

1. G.SKILL F4 DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB
  2. Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB
  3. G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 C15 2x8GB
In each case, the computer worked well with one RAM stick, but would not boot when two or more sticks were installed. As per the motherboard's manual, the first stick was installed in DIMMA2 and the second stick was installed in DIMMB2.

I thought that the problem may have been incompatible RAM, so I bought
G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 C15 2x8GB which was represented by the supplier as compatible with the MSI B450-A PRO MAX motherboard, this did not solve the problem.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Ryzen is picky about ram.

Many bios updates will address ram compatibility issues.

Are the sticks inserted properly?
It takes more force that you might think to get a stick seated level.

More sinister is the possibility of a bent or defective pin from the cpu or in the socket.

Was the 2 x8 ram you bought from the same kit?
Ram must be matched for proper operation.
Identical part numbers is not sufficient.

Aug 4, 2022
I am now using the latest BIOS: E7B86AMS.MH0, 2022-08-11 . I tried three different BIOS version, none of which solved the problem.
I am sure that the RAM sticks are installed properly. I build a second AMD based computer about the same time as this one (Asus PRIME-X570-P, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X) with none of these problems.
The CPU pins are protected on the AMD motherboard, so I can't see if they are bend.
All three of the RAM models I used were purchased as pairs, each pair in one package
Clearing the CMOS (Reset BIOS) did not help.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022
The bios on my computer defaults to 2133 MHz and the ram I am using is rated at 2100 MHz. I manually changed the ram frequency in the bios to 2400 MHz and rebooted. The computer turned off and on a few times, then continued to run but still would not boot.

Aug 4, 2022
Hello,

I tried every suggestion that I have receive regarding this problem, and none of them fixed the problem. In desperation, I asked MSI. They sent me an RMA number, so my motherboard is with them at this time. They are preparing to ship now, so I will be able to test their work soon. I will report my findings.

Before I sent the motherboard in for repair, the computer would not post while the second ram stick was installed.

Reactions: welderelder