Why Windows 8 Has New Start Screen and Metro Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
so basically microsoft decided to alienate a group of their most ardent fans and drive even more of them toward linux, in a failed attempt to recruit some of the iSheep users?doesn't sound like a very good business strategy to me -_-

larkspur

Distinguished
Finally they admit that Win 8 UI was designed for "your computer illiterate little sister." Been saying that all along."...It's simple, clear, and does one thing (and only one thing) relatively easily". Yes, exactly ONE thing, oh you know, like looking up an Apple pie recipe. Thanks for clearing that up MS!

apertotes

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
How are multiple desktops confusing for casual customers? Android has multiple desktop screens, and so does iOS. It is a very easy thing to understand.

nikolajj

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
I speaks the truth!Sadly, I am one of the odd ones, because a prefer good design over familiarity. Both consciously and unconsciously.

besterino

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
I don't get it - not only did they alienate the power user, they also confused the "casual" - or in their words "illiterate" existing user base - to my understanding - in order to make it easier for potential future (!) casual users? But instead of simply having a default setting (i.e. to "force it on possible future users") that can be changed by and for already existing users (who just don't like change - be that good or bad or whatever), no, they force it on EVERYONE.Under what design / business / roll-out dogma is that the "must go" route? I mean, when they changed the Win9x design to the Vista/7 design scheme, there was exactly that option to show the old-school startmenu. An guess what - I bet after a short while - despite all the hate blablabla - soon almost everyone used the new design. Why? Cause in addition to not liking change, we are lazy bunch of people and sometimes just go with the default setting even if we could change it... Again, I don't get why MS chose force instead of other - less aggressive - means in order to make the switch WITH their existing user base instead of AGAINST it.

roger smith

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
The fix for windows 8? when a mouse is present, boot to desktop and traditional startmenu. modern ui is great from tablets and ridiculous for desktop mode. so just make it switch when a mouse is present, done and done.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
It was the arrogant bastard approach to marketing: its my way or the highway. The evolution of Win 8 has also shown their new business model: we will update your OS to keep up with iOS, Linux & Android, but charge you through the nose for Windows Media Center and encryption ($100) in 8.1 Pro.

BTW I AM GRANDPA and I don't approve of MS's marketing approach. They could sell the upgrade to 8.1 Pro for $10 - $20 and make a lot more than they do off sales at $100. If I were a MS shareholder I'd be looking for some heads and a shareholder derivative strike suit against management for incompetence.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
"Why Windows 8 Has New Start Screen and Metro Apps"Because Microsoft values generating advertising dollars more than providing a consistent user interface! Story done, hit the presses."We knew full well casual users wouldn't like it initially. Hopefully in 5 years we'll look back and see we made the right decision,"You're a jackass. If this guy is telling the truth rather than trying to spin a flop, then the amount of sheer ego at play is staggering. It's one thing to turn out a bad product, but another to intentionally incorporate features that folks will hate and have the magnanimity to frame it as though "daddy knows best." Hopefully in five years you'll be nowhere near the industry. Please take the Firefox developers, cursed with the same affliction, with you.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
"It's designed for your computer illiterate little sister, for grandpas who don't know how to use that computer dofangle thingy, and for mom who just wants to look up apple pie"That's it M$, now you are blaming my "illiterate little sister", my grandpa and worst my mom for your mistake...Just admit it that Apple and Google had owned you with the touch interface even you were the first to introduce it (forget Star Trek) 12 years ago.

ThRK

Reputable
Feb 19, 2014
Biggest problem:"Later on, Miller talks about how familiarity will always trump good design."Metro was *horribly* designed. And it sure as frack wasn't grandpa or casual-user friendly.

InvalidError

Titan

Most people who use Windows use it either because:
- that's what came preloaded on their PC/laptop and they cannot be bothered with installing something else
- some of the programs or hardware they use only exists or works with Windows... sometimes only specific versions and service pack levels of it

Most people in the first category do not really require a PC to get their everyday computing done and are more likely to buy Android-powered devices than install Linux on an existing PC that already has Windows on it. Most people in the second category are ball-and-chained to Windows.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Game developers have done the same mistake, catering to the "casual gamer" and forgetting the REAL gamers. One example of this .... THQ. We all know what happened to that company. Same thing can happen to any company, even "all mighty Microsoft"... Abandoning your customers in search for new customers is not the way to go. Every company needs to have (and search) for a flow of new customers, but NEVER at the cost of your customer base.

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Its the grandpas and grandma's who hate Win 8 the most. I despise it only because MS chose to ignore their testers and for some reason foisted that mobile GUI on the desktop. It is probably the worst GUI ever made for a desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.