Question Why won’t my pc turn on?

Apr 22, 2020
14
0
10
0
I have recently upgraded most of my pc parts. I finished putting it together and it won’t turn on. No lights, beep codes, spinning fans, or anything. It’s a brand new psu from evga so I highly doubt that it’s the issue. Could it be my motherboard? I tried using a screwdriver to turn it on by connecting the power pins but still nothing. I can hear a slight ticking near my motherboard however when the power cable is plugged in, but that’s the only sign of life. I’ve also noticed a burning smell when the power cable is plugged in.

My specs are:
Evga 400w power supply
Gtx 1050
I5 3570
Gigabyte ga-b75m-d3v
 
Apr 22, 2020
14
0
10
0
Please list what parts you had before and after upgraded it. Also be sure that you doubled checked to make sure you have everything, power cables, fans, front IO power buttons etc hooked up correctly.
My previous motherboard was Hp Compaq 6200 Pro Motherboard 615114-001 and my previous power supply was HP Compaq 6200 Pro Microtower PC9057 320W Switching Power Supply- 613764-001 and my previous cpu was an i3 2120. I’ve also localized the burning smell to be coming from the motherboard. I think I was sold a dud but I’m not 100% sure
 
Apr 22, 2020
14
0
10
0
My previous motherboard was Hp Compaq 6200 Pro Motherboard 615114-001 and my previous power supply was HP Compaq 6200 Pro Microtower PC9057 320W Switching Power Supply- 613764-001 and my previous cpu was an i3 2120. I’ve also localized the burning smell to be coming from the motherboard. I think I was sold a dud but I’m not 100% sure
And I’ve made sure that all of the connections are in the right places and properly in place
 
Apr 22, 2020
14
0
10
0
Make sure you have the CPU heatsink fan plugged into the CPU_FAN header, most motherboards wont even turn on if it doesnt detect a fan plugged into there.
It’s plugged in there, although it’s a 3 pin cpu fan connection and a 4 pin header. That shouldn’t matter though right? It still fits.
 
It’s plugged in there, although it’s a 3 pin cpu fan connection and a 4 pin header. That shouldn’t matter though right? It still fits.

Yes it will work 3 pin fans are backwards compatible with 4 pin headers.

Another thing to try is only having one RAM stick inserted at a time if you have two sticks inserted. also try one or the other as 1 RAM module may be faulty.

If that fails and I know it sounds like a pain but I would disconnect everything, cables, RAM drives etc and start over reassembling the PC going slow and double checking everything one step at a time.

Here is the manual if you don't have it https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B75M-D3V-rev-10/support#support-manual
 
Apr 22, 2020
14
0
10
0
Yes it will work 3 pin fans are backwards compatible with 4 pin headers.

Another thing to try is only having one RAM stick inserted at a time if you have two sticks inserted. also try one or the other as 1 RAM module may be faulty.

If that fails and I know it sounds like a pain but I would disconnect everything, cables, RAM drives etc and start over reassembling the PC going slow and double checking everything one step at a time.

Here is the manual if you don't have it https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B75M-D3V-rev-10/support#support-manual
Alright thanks, I’ll try that. Would any of that explain the burning smell though? A burning smell can’t be a good sign right?
 
Alright thanks, I’ll try that. Would any of that explain the burning smell though? A burning smell can’t be a good sign right?
Where exactly is the burning smell coming from? Do you see any discoloration/scorch marks on the motherboard?

Make sure its not the PSU that is the source.


If you stilll have the old motherboard use that (you can just put it on the motherboard box) as a test bench and rule out if the new mobo or PSU is what the issue is.
 
Apr 22, 2020
14
0
10
0
Where exactly is the burning smell coming from? Do you see any discoloration/scorch marks on the motherboard?

Make sure its not the PSU that is the source.


If you stilll have the old motherboard use that (you can just put it on the motherboard box) as a test bench and rule out if the new mobo or PSU is what the issue is.
It’s not coming from the psu, it’s def coming from the motherboard. I unscrewed the psu and put it outside of the case and could easily distinguish where the smell was coming from. And I can’t use my old motherboard unfortunately. I think I may have been sold a dead or fried motherboard
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS