[SOLVED] Why won't BIOS let me overclock R5 3600 on MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon ?

NeedSomeHelp18

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2014
Hello guys.
I just bought R5 3600 and swapped my Ryzen1700. I was able to OC my old cpu with older BIOS but after a BIOS update that was needed for new CPU my bios has changed, its ok (I know why - reduced memory etc). But the fact is I can OC my RAM but I can't change my clocks of cpu, it's all grayed out. I am not able to click on it at all. Is it some bios issue? It doesnt matter of I will use different settings, like PBO on/off...

Any ideas??

MB is MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon
CPU is Ryzen 5 3600
And I dont think any other spec are relevant...

Last edited:
Solution
Hello guys.
I just bought R5 3600 and swapped my Ryzen1700. I was able to OC my old cpu with older BIOS but after a BIOS update that was needed for new CPU my bios has changed, its ok (I know why - reduced memory etc). But the fact is I can OC my RAM but I can't change my clocks of cpu, it's all grayed out. I am not able to click on it at all. Is it some bios issue? It doesnt matter of I will use different settings, like PBO on/off...

Any ideas??

CPU is Ryzen 5 3600
Have you reset CMOS after the BIOS update?

Also update the chipset drivers.

While I agree the BIOS should function as expected, it's pretty much pointless to overclock ryzen 3000...
Hello guys.

Any ideas??

CPU is Ryzen 5 3600
Have you reset CMOS after the BIOS update?

Also update the chipset drivers.

While I agree the BIOS should function as expected, it's pretty much pointless to overclock ryzen 3000 as the boosting algorithm does it for you. Just make sure you set it up right with latest chipset drivers and Ryzen balanced power plan.

Reactions: NeedSomeHelp18
Solution

NeedSomeHelp18

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2014
Thank you for your answer!

Yes. CMOS was cleared.
Ill check chipset drivers but I dont think it will change too much.

I know overclocking seems pointless but Ive heard those 2020 chips can achieve higher frequencies and I just want to check what I could get.
But... It looks like to bios flaw for me

Edit:

I did update chipset drivers and that helped!
Thank you so much, issue solved :))
Good to know you're sorted!

Even if the chipset drivers were previously 'up to date' reinstalling can often be helpful if the installation is conditional. That is, when the installer sees different hardware (CPU) and/or AGESA version (comes with BIOS) it could set up the drivers differently.

The same is true with Windows in general, by the way. Any time hardware changes Windows may need different drivers or options enabled, often requiring a fresh install to get it stable and running properly. Something to keep in mind if persistent, nagging issues develop. An especially annoying one is when it won't come out of a sleep mode when it used to.

Last edited:
Reactions: NeedSomeHelp18