Question Why won't my amd hd 7450 work on my friend's computer

Bubble_Double

Honorable
Aug 26, 2016
I got my hd 7450 from my HP pre built pc, but my friend has an IBM computer. I tried putting my hd 7450 that i don't use anymore in his computer but nothing would happen. My nvidia gtx 750 ti worked without any problem on his computer. On my computer both graphics cards work without any problem. Could it be that the hd 7450 was built for my oem HP desktop, and if yes is there any way to make it work on non HP desktops?

(i posted a thread similar to this a while ago but i hadn't tested my 750 ti yet)

Bubble_Double

Honorable
Aug 26, 2016
Do you know what specs the IBM PC has? Graphics card upgrades for prebuilts can be somewhat hit and miss, especially for AMD graphics cards apparently (pre-Sandy Bridge). It's also possible the BIOS may not allow the specific upgrade.
I think he has an i5 650, also i just found out, it wasn't an IBM, it was a "lenovo thinkcentre m90p".

If it is an i5-650 then it fits what I have heard about potential issues. Unfortunately I don't think there's a consensus about the reason, and the closest is Wendell at Level 1 Techs suggesting it might be a power issue to the PCIe x16 slot not being quite to spec, so some graphics cards (usually AMD) don't work.

But if a GTX 750 ti works then they do have that option.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Sep 5, 2018
Sorry if I misunderstood,

but your AMD card did not work in his computer, but the NVIDIA card did?
In that case it just seems like a driver issue. It seems like his graphics card is an NVIDIA which is why the 750ti worked. Try uninstalling the nvidia drivers, then put the AMD card in and install amd drivers.

Bubble_Double

Honorable
Aug 26, 2016
Sorry if I misunderstood,

but your AMD card did not work in his computer, but the NVIDIA card did?
In that case it just seems like a driver issue. It seems like his graphics card is an NVIDIA which is why the 750ti worked. Try uninstalling the nvidia drivers, then put the AMD card in and install amd drivers.
Actually he has an AMD card. He now has a rx something but even when I tried it before he had a hd 5450 which is very similar to the 7450.