Why wont my computer pick up my dvd drives

irntgr x zeus

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Hi,
I just put a second dvd burner into my rig today and i'm having some issues. i already had one installed and it worked fine, and then i put in the new one and it won't recognize either of them. but, when i unplug the new one the old one works and when i unplug the old one the new one works. i don't get it. help please?

i'm using ide drives on a windows 7 based pc.

irntgr x zeus

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
no, they're IDE. When I start up my PC it says "hardware id cannot be found" or something like that. Then when I ran that scan it said that no optical drives were found. Also when I start my PC a message pops up and says that drive is not ATAPI (I think that's right, could be wrong) compatible.

irntgr x zeus

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
I think part of my problem lies in those settings. It's like my PC is trying to run them both as the master, because under master it has my older burner selected, but then under slave it says undetected. When I start up, a screen similar to BIOS comes up and says that the slave drive is ATAPI incompatible.

irntgr x zeus

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
okay, well I got both of them to work. I just flip-flopped their positions. Put the new one where the old one was and the old one where the new one was, so that way the newer would be the master and the older the slave, and it worked. It's crazy that it could be that simple, but hey, I'll take it. Thanks for all the help and tips though.

TRENDING THREADS