Question Why won't my cpu get lower temperatures? I7-3770

Jun 17, 2019
Hi guys,

So i have an i7 3770 and the tempature is always between 90-100 degrees. i know this is really bad but i dont know what to do against it. i replaced the termal paste multiple times i also bought a special fan.

out of ideas and options. Please help :)

Jun 17, 2019
i just replaced it to an older case (from coolermaster self) dont know the name.
i use a Artic freezer 13
the ambient temperatures are arround 20/22C.
msi h61m-p31/w8
i7 3770
Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming
SSD: 250gb
hdd: 500GB + 1tb
RAM : 16GB ddr3

I know its old but just dont have the money rn to buy new stuff :)

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
While the Freezer13 isn't great, it should keep CPU temps reasonable at least.

Without knowing the case, it's impossible to judge airflow. Something is wrong there, clearly. Even in a pretty restrictive case, pushing 100'C on a 3770 in 20'C ambient should be pretty tough to achieve.

Take off side panel(s). Does temperatures improve? If so, you have an airflow issue...

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Spitfire72,

As with Intel's stock coolers, the Artic Freezer 13 uses the problematic push-pins to secure the cooler to the motherboard. Coolers that use proper fastening hardware with a back plate are highly preferred over coolers which use push-pins. Regardless, whenever you remove the cooler, always check that the thermal compound has a spread pattern that's evenly distributed across both surfaces.

(1) It's very likely that your AF 13 has a push-pin that's either damaged or has popped loose from the motherboard, which is a very common problem. This causes poor contact pressure between the cooler and the CPU, resulting in high temperatures in BIOS, as well as in Windows at idle, and especially when running just a moderate workload.

You can troubleshoot this problem by pushing firmly on each corner of the cooler for about 30 seconds while watching your load temperatures. When you see a significant drop, you've found the loose push-pin.

The push-pins are easy to damage and can be deceivingly tricky to get them fully inserted through the motherboard and properly latched. Even the best and most experienced of us have botched a push-pin at one time or another, so always use a strong light, patience and attention to detail.

(A) To re-seat a single loose push-pin, rotate the latch mechanism in the direction of the arrow counterclockwise 90° then retract the pin by pulling upward. Rotate the latch clockwise 90° to reset the pin, but do NOT push on the latch yet.

(B) To get the pin fully inserted through the motherboard, push only on the leg, NOT on the top of the latch.

(C) While holding the leg firmly against the motherboard with one hand, you can now push on the top of the latch with your other hand until the latch clicks. If your case allows you see the back of the socket, you can closely examine and compare the pins to one another.

(D) If you're re-seating the entire cooler, then be sure to latch the pins across from one another, rather than next to one another. Use an "X" pattern, so as to apply even pressure during installation.

Just for reference purposes, here's a short tutorial that includes dealing with the push-pins -

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qczGR4KMnY

(2) Another possibility which will cause poor contact pressure between the cooler and the CPU is if the retention bracket is loose, which users rarely ever check. Confirm that all 3 allen screws are tight. You'll find that the 2 allen screws near the hinge are a different size than the single screw for the end of the latch plate. If they're even slightly loose and remain unchecked, you'll never find the problem with high Core temperatures.

(3) A third possibility is that Intel's infamous Thermal Interface Material (TIM) between the top of the Die and the underside of the Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS) has lost its thermal bond. As Intel's TIM degrades over time, some 3rd and 4th Generation 22 nanometer processors, (launched 2012 through 2014), may no longer cool as well as when new. Delidding restores and upgrades thermal performance similar to that of soldered processors. Delidding is a last option, but that's how it is.

CT :sol:

Reactions: lynx1021
Jun 17, 2019
so, i sort of fixed it.
it was indeed the push pins that didnt fully inserted the motherboard my tempatures are now arround 50-80 it just jumps arround.
this is normal? im actually very happy with these numbers haha

CompuTronix

Intel Master
"50 - 80 it just jumps around" ... Just jumps around while doing what? At idle? During gaming?

Fluctuating Core temperatures are driven by fluctuations in software workloads. Fluctuations are normal and expected, especially during the first few minutes after startup, and under most workload situations.

Although "Throttle" temperature for the i7-3770 is 100°C, here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.[/B]

At idle, excessive fluctuations are typically due to unnecessary processes, services and "tray trash" startups left behind following software installations. A reasonably clean software configuration should idle fairly steadily at just 1 or 2% CPU Utilization in Windows Task Manager.

CT 😎

TRENDING THREADS