[SOLVED] Why Won't My GPU Run At 100%???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 2, 2021
I have a radeon 5700xt paired with a ryzen 3700x and when I play minecraft I get about 400fps and my gpu is around 20-30% usage. I play on minecraft java edition 1.8 It does this on all versions all clients, mods and no mods.

Solution
you can set a minimum fps that it could run at the problem is that it maxes out ag 300 and adrenalin doesnt detect actual minecraft as a game, only the launcher.
Yes you can set a minimum, but the purpose of RChill is to limit FPS to lower power consumption. You set the minimum target (meaning the lowest FPS you are willing to accept) and your max target (depends on the max FPS you are capable of so the idea is if you get 250 FPS max in a game you would could lower the value to 200) in order to reduce heat & power consumption. If you have the latest drivers you should enable Frame Rate Target Control in Advanced Graphics in Radeon Software. This has a max FPS of 1000 however, just because you set the value at 1000 doesn't mean...

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
you can set a minimum fps that it could run at the problem is that it maxes out ag 300 and adrenalin doesnt detect actual minecraft as a game, only the launcher.
Yes you can set a minimum, but the purpose of RChill is to limit FPS to lower power consumption. You set the minimum target (meaning the lowest FPS you are willing to accept) and your max target (depends on the max FPS you are capable of so the idea is if you get 250 FPS max in a game you would could lower the value to 200) in order to reduce heat & power consumption. If you have the latest drivers you should enable Frame Rate Target Control in Advanced Graphics in Radeon Software. This has a max FPS of 1000 however, just because you set the value at 1000 doesn't mean you will achieve that, but you can try. Also since you are stating your gameplay isn't as smooth as your friends you can enable Radeon Enhanced Sync. It is like vsync, but doesn't limit frame rate.

Solution
Apr 2, 2021
Yes you can set a minimum, but the purpose of RChill is to limit FPS to lower power consumption. You set the minimum target (meaning the lowest FPS you are willing to accept) and your max target (depends on the max FPS you are capable of so the idea is if you get 250 FPS max in a game you would could lower the value to 200) in order to reduce heat & power consumption. If you have the latest drivers you should enable Frame Rate Target Control in Advanced Graphics in Radeon Software. This has a max FPS of 1000 however, just because you set the value at 1000 doesn't mean you will achieve that, but you can try. Also since you are stating your gameplay isn't as smooth as your friends you can enable Radeon Enhanced Sync. It is like vsync, but doesn't limit frame rate.
Definitely will try thanks for the suggestion.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
You could also do this. Your system specs look good, but may help determine if there is an underlying issue.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/
Download the software and run the benchmark, make sure it is the only program running, close down all other programs
then post the results here.
Also you are only referring to MineCraft, what about other games? Is it the only game you are having issues with?

Apr 2, 2021
You could also do this. Your system specs look good, but may help determine if there is an underlying issue.
Download the software and run the benchmark, make sure it is the only program running, close down all other programs
Also you are only referring to MineCraft, what about other games? Is it the only game you are having issues with?
yes its only minecraft that runs at 20% gpu usage, every other game goes from 50% to 80%

Apr 2, 2021
for some reason it didn't run the ssd test but here it is https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/41668559

Apr 2, 2021
There is no solution to a non-problem. Your GPU usage is low because your CPU is too slow to push enough frames to the GPU in a graphically trivial lightly threaded game like Minecraft. If you really want to increase GPU load just for the heck of increasing GPU load, set anti-aliasing to ludicrously high.
dude my cpu is not <Mod Edit>

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 2, 2021
There is no solution to a non-problem. Your GPU usage is low because your CPU is too slow to push enough frames to the GPU in a graphically trivial lightly threaded game like Minecraft. If you really want to increase GPU load just for the heck of increasing GPU load, set anti-aliasing to ludicrously high.
like I mentioned my friend essentially has the same rig, just 5600xt instead of my 5700xt