Question Why won't my laptop's display turn on?

Dec 26, 2021
My old laptop display had a patch of black pixels that kept on spreading. I removed that display and ordered a (new condition) copy of the display. I installed the new display today (ensuring that the 30 pin cable is connected securely) and when I powered my laptop on, the display just stayed black. I have tried to power cycle the laptop (by removing the external battery and holding the power button down for 30 seconds) and I have tried to connect the laptop to a working monitor (also used the display function key and made sure that the monitor was set to HDMI). Additionally, I connected the old display and that doesn't even turn on.

Does anyone know what I can do as I need to be able to use my laptop soon.

Thanks.

Dec 26, 2021
Make: HP Pavilion 2016 (I think)
Specs: i5-6200U, 1TB HDD, 1366 x 768, Intel HD 1024MB
Condition: Used
I don't suspect that the display comes with warranty, however it is able to be returned within 2 weeks.

Ralston18

Titan
About all that can be done ( as methodically as possible) is to do some additional testing regarding the laptop/laptop graphics, cable, display, and monitors to narrow down the culprit.

Such testing requires known working components that can swapped about or otherwise independently tested.

Not sure if having the laptop looked by by a reputable repair shop would be worthwhile depending on the cost.

Any such shops around? Ask what they would charge to checkout the laptop. Being that the laptop is ~ 6 years old repairing it could be costly with little or no guarantees that something else would not fail.

In the meantime, start preparing to return the display. At least you could recover those costs.

Dec 26, 2021
Thanks, I guess it makes sense for the laptop being about 6 years old and removing the display may have somehow broken something since it hasn't been taken apart in years.