Question Why won't my motherboard reinstall drivers? Also, does resetting the PC give you factory default drivers or not?

Yoiji

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
On my old motherboard, if I deleted a driver while also clicking "Delete driver software from this device", it would delete. However, once I restarted my PC, it would automatically download the default drivers built into the board. Very helpful if an updated version of a driver was bad. I have a new motherboard. The Asus Rog Strix z490e. Whenever I delete the wifi driver and check that "delete driver" box, it redownloads when I restart my PC. When I delete ANYTHING else, like the ethernet adapter, it won't reinstall. Also, does factory resetting the PC make it so the motherboard downloads the defaults? Cause it currently looks like it is keeping the updated drivers instead of the factory default ones.

Colif

Win 11 Master
is your ethernet cable attached? it might only grab the WIFI drivers as Windows recognises the device on restart. If you don't use ethernet it may not grab them again.

As for default drivers after a reset - It is meant to roll you back to default drivers that come with win 10. Its possible win 10 may have many of the drivers already. And it is likely to go looking as soon as you connect to internet

factory reset doesn't roll windows back far, only as far as last Version update. So that was December, so could be all the drivers are in the build.

It still helps to check motherboard website as Microsoft rely on Asus to give them new drivers. I know you might get a DL from Win update called AMD which stands for Asus Motherboard Drivers.

Yoiji

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
is your ethernet cable attached? it might only grab the WIFI drivers as Windows recognises the device on restart. If you don't use ethernet it may not grab them again.

As for default drivers after a reset - It is meant to roll you back to default drivers that come with win 10. Its possible win 10 may have many of the drivers already. And it is likely to go looking as soon as you connect to internet

factory reset doesn't roll windows back far, only as far as last Version update. So that was December, so could be all the drivers are in the build.

It still helps to check motherboard website as Microsoft rely on Asus to give them new drivers. I know you might get a DL from Win update called AMD which stands for Asus Motherboard Drivers.
Do you know how to update a 400 series chipset controller? I went to the Asus website to look at their Chipset driver folder. I installed the folder and I clicked the Asus Setup. All it did was install a "Intel Management Service". Did not update my chipset.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Version 10.1.18263.8193 - 2020/05/12
Intel Chipset Driver V10.1.18263.8193 for Windows 10 64-bit---(WHQL).

did you click the red text under chipset section that says see all downloads? the chipset drivers are last under IMEI

Yoiji

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
Version 10.1.18263.8193 - 2020/05/12
Intel Chipset Driver V10.1.18263.8193 for Windows 10 64-bit---(WHQL).

did you click the red text under chipset section that says see all downloads? the chipset drivers are last under IMEI
THANK YOU SO MUCH SIR! Do you also know how to check the I225-v firmware? It says to update the driver, I need to have the 1.45 firmware for the I225-v but I have no idea how to check that. They don't really say how to

Yoiji

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
Ok, I was able to update the firmware. However, why won't the chipset install? I just downloaded that file that you linked me and when I click the Intel(R) 400 series chipset family SATA AHCI Controller it still has the same driver from before. I clicked the "Asus Setup" and it keeps installing "Intel Chipset Device Software" or something like that

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS