Question Why won't my PC boot with the boot key while the HDD is plugged in?

Aug 23, 2019
My HDD boot is messed up (or so it says) so I tried using a boot key to try and repair it. I set the USB as first boot priority but it just goes straight back to the boot error. Then I tried setting the USB as HDD 1st priority, and it just sits there trying to load for 30 or so minutes (That's as long as I waited until I gave up). So I finally just unplug the HDD and the boot key loads up immediately.

What exactly am I doing wrong? Is it still trying to load up the HDD even after being told the USB is first? Or maybe the HDD failed and it's preventing my boot key from loading up?

I'm just currently stumped and I don't know exactly going on.

Aug 23, 2019
Did you try booting with the USB key in a different USB port?
I've tried that kinda and I DID get the boot key to work but it took a long time and it kinda froze up on me after I tried to use the repair PC option.

My next step is to try and get it back to that point again and reinstall Windows. I've had to do this before but just not with this kind of error or this much trouble.

Aug 23, 2019
Update: I tried installing a new version but it gave me an error that the boot modifications could not be updated. I've tried setting it to legacy and turning off secure boot but no luck.

Aug 23, 2019
I think that because this computer is a prebuilt, Gateway locked down the BIOS to prevent certain changes, like the boot order. I don't think there is anything you can do to change that.
Then I'm stumped. I don't even think getting a new HDD would fix it if it won't even let me change anything in the boot loader.